How much room does two ducks need?

Number1Sticky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Sorry about the huge novel but here it is.
smile.png

Long story short. I have two ducks living in my garage at the moment. They were living on a farm with my cousin/bff but basically they kept getting attacked (I had four at the time but two got killed by a raccoon and/or mink). So they are now living in my garage in a dog cage (it is a bigger dog cage), safe.

I’ve had them for a little over a month in the cage. The only reason they’ve been in the cage was because one of them got attacked and had a severe head injury (it took him 5 weeks to heal). But now he’s all better. So they need somewhere bigger to live.

My parents told me I could keep them so I’m planning on building a shed in my backyard for them, with a little pool for them to swim in. I would make sure it’s big enough and has windows so they wouldn’t live in the dark. But my question is how big would it have to be? One is a Cayuga (female) and the other one is a Cayuga/Indian Runner mix (male). So they aren’t huge ducks. Right now they are 14 weeks old.

I won't be getting anymore ducks (when I’m living here at least). The only reason I have these two is because I thought they were going to be able to live on a farm, safe. But that didn't work out.

Unfortunately they won't be able to run around in my backyard because I have dogs that are very curious about them. Also I live in a city so I would be worried they would wonder off and get hit, lost, or bother my neighbors. So the only place they would have is the shed. That’s why I want to have plenty of room for them in it. I’ll make sure they have plenty of air ventilation and light.

Or if anyone has any suggests about what I should and shouldn’t do, go ahead and post if. I appreciate any help.

If you want to hear the whole story about why they are living with me now and why I’m not prepared to take care of them you can go ahead and ask me I’d be happy to explain why I'm in this situation.

A few miscellaneous questions.
Does anyone know how many eggs Cayugas lay per year and what age do they start laying?

In the future when I live on a farm would it be a bad idea to let an egg of theirs hatch? They are siblings. I know obviously people can't do that but I don't know much about ducks genetics. When I got them I was told they were both hens but as the one grew up I've realized that "she" is a "he."

Also if anyone has any tips for me about Cayugas and/or Cayuga/Indian Runner mix (I'm not sure how many of those are out there
smile.png
) from personal experience don't hesitate to share.

Last edited:
I would put up a 8x8 foot shed and give them half of the space. The rest can be used to store feed and wood shaving/hay etc. You put the food area in one end and a nest area in the other one for egg laying. That can be a concrete mixing bin. This enables them to move round at night and you can put a dog door in for them to go outside in the day time. Let me show some pics of an area just like that.
51964_setup6.jpg

51964_setup3.jpg

I use rubber runners from home depot and pine shavings to cover it. That way you only sweep it out in the morning and have it fresh each night. I put the poo with the shavings under my shrubs and into flower beds. Works really well for me. The water/food station has a deep tray underneath to keep the water they spill in it.

When I had only 2 ducks, (I have 6 now) they lived in a 4x6 pen that had a little upstairs giving them 28sq ft total.... In general, I've heard 10 sqft per duck for the run and 4sqft per duck for the coop.

Here's an old thread on their home.... The pen was in my garage, but I also made them an "Outside area" as well. The last pics are on the actual 28sqft pen
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=238885

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom