How much room for roos?

caseyleah

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
If I end up with 3 roos like I think I might, I'd really like to keep them separate from my laying hens. How much room would I need for them and how big of a coop if one at all? Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't answer since I'd like to know myself.
hu.gif
I have a roo and a 3 mo. old cockerel sharing a 9 x 9 coop and 10 x 20 run. I'm hoping that they can co-exist.

Yeah, I'd just wanted hens so I could have eggs, I don't want anymore baby chicks running around, but I've become attached to the 3 that I think are roo's and REALLY don't want to give them to a different home.

If your roos are not near your hens, depending on breed, you can keep them together in a pen.
I give them lots of room. I put 5-6 standard size roos in a 10x10 tractor but then come fall I put them in the freezer. They co-exist just fine as long as no hens come wandering by. If the hens make it up to the front pasture then they squabble over who is the most handsome and will win her heart... er, something.
I raised up 10 bantam Cochin roos in a 10x10 coop and a 80x60 pen but they saw the laying flock next door all the time and it was difficult. Every evening they would fuss among themselves. Thank goodness it was during the time I was watering and I could break up disagreements with the water hose.

Back
Top Bottom