how much should 12 full grown chickens eats...

Just what I was going to say!

Since that's about double what would be expected, the chickens are probably not eating it all themselves. Check to see if they are spilling a lot, or if some other creatures are eating it too (creatures that might eat chicken food: rats, mice, squirrels, deer, birds, almost any kind of farm animal, even a pet dog...there are lots of creatures that will eat it if they can.)
i've seen mice in the coop where my chickens stay but the food is hung, there's nothing close for them to be able to climb up to it...it's a possibility but i doubt it though...

i've seen mice in the coop where my chickens stay but the food is hung, there's nothing close for them to be able to climb up to it...it's a possibility but i doubt it though...

Attachments

• FC5EBD4F-03F4-408A-BDA2-0189E45A204F.jpeg
    FC5EBD4F-03F4-408A-BDA2-0189E45A204F.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 6
Just what I was going to say!

Since that's about double what would be expected, the chickens are probably not eating it all themselves. Check to see if they are spilling a lot, or if some other creatures are eating it too (creatures that might eat chicken food: rats, mice, squirrels, deer, birds, almost any kind of farm animal, even a pet dog...there are lots of creatures that will eat it if they can.)

Attachments

• ECC13274-BB54-4BA0-887F-68C0C0752F57.jpeg
    ECC13274-BB54-4BA0-887F-68C0C0752F57.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1455723B-353A-402A-8295-58BBD977D656.jpeg
    1455723B-353A-402A-8295-58BBD977D656.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 5
Have you looked in the bedding under the feeder to see if they are just spilling it? That kind of feeder is pretty good, but some chickens still manage to throw the feed out with their beaks.

Can you easily see if the food level goes down during the night?
Or take the feeder into your house at night for a week or so, to see if it changes how many bags you use that week?

I'm thinking there might be something (like rats) eating it at night.

But just knowing if some of the food is disappearing at night, or if it's all happening during the day, can narrow down the possibilities.

Mine were eating 1/3 lb each a day. When the weather improved and the roosters moved, they all ate about 1/4 lb/day.

This was true for roosters and hens.
with having 12 birds i've figured out that 3 weeks ain't too bad for 100 lbs of feed...wife was thinking 2 weeks was that they were eating too much...but after we looked at the date closer we thought about and figured 3 weeks ain't too bad..thanks yall

Have you looked in the bedding under the feeder to see if they are just spilling it? That kind of feeder is pretty good, but some chickens still manage to throw the feed out with their beaks.

Can you easily see if the food level goes down during the night?
Or take the feeder into your house at night for a week or so, to see if it changes how many bags you use that week?

I'm thinking there might be something (like rats) eating it at night.

But just knowing if some of the food is disappearing at night, or if it's all happening during the day, can narrow down the possibilities.
they are spilling some of the food out and i saw this when i churned the straw over, there is a lot but i'm thinking that's over time since the feeder stays in there yr round...to narrow down has to when it's being done is having to do what u mentioned and remove it at night...just to see if it's for sure them doing it or if i have a rat or mice issue...since i've cleaned the coop area where i store my pick and rake i've seen 3 or 4 huge healthy sized mice in there...just hope they are getting it from the feeder...

The feeder looks VERY close to or touching the fence. Is that the case or is it an optical illusion? If it IS the case, mice can climb and climb WELL.
no u are right...it's kinda close to the fencing...there are a few things i have to do with getting it where the feeder is away from the fence...a lil/ huge amount of rearranging the coop area on the inside in order for the feeder not be so close to the fence...mice are my biggest enemy right now 😡😡😡

Back
Top Bottom