How much should a 6-7 week old chick eat?

Sakai

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
I've a cross beak chick. I haven't the heart to cull her out. She eats on her own but struggles to get enough. I noticed that she's starting to grow slower than her siblings.
We weighed her on a empty crop and then again after she has a hour with food. She gained 16 grams. She seems constantly obsessed with food. Scrambling for it even though she has it all to herself all day.
I want to tube feed her every other day to see if that extra bit of calories will help. I've been researching but i can find how much i should feed her?
Just until her crop feels full?

It depends on the breed. A LF Rock, JG or Cochin would eat a great deal at 7 weeks. A Serama or Silkie, not so much.
I'd feed her till she doesn't obsess about food.
Do you really plan on dealing with this the chicken's whole life?
I haven't dealt with crossbeaks but a picture may help others that have provide better advice.

I wouldn’t feed her let her eat if she don’t do it on her own she may died later. I have one and as she grew she got better with eating. I did offer her a little extra but let her eat on her own. Best of luck to ya.

It depends on the breed. A LF Rock, JG or Cochin would eat a great deal at 7 weeks. A Serama or Silkie, not so much.
I'd feed her till she doesn't obsess about food.
Do you really plan on dealing with this the chicken's whole life?
I haven't dealt with crossbeaks but a picture may help others that have provide better advice.

She's a EE. We are determined to get at least two years out of her. If not more. I just dont want her to always be obsessed about eating and still being smaller than the rest.

Attachments

• 20181003_114139.jpg
    20181003_114139.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20181003_114131.jpg
    20181003_114131.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 28
She eats on her own but struggles to get enough. I noticed that she's starting to grow slower than her siblings.

She seems constantly obsessed with food. Scrambling for it even though she has it all to herself all day.
I want to tube feed her every other day to see if that extra bit of calories will help. I've been researching but i can find how much i should feed her?

We are determined to get at least two years out of her. If not more. I just dont want her to always be obsessed about eating and still being smaller than the rest.

What are your goals for her?

I am not trying to be mean here - she is obsessed with food because she is not getting enough/starving. If you are going to tube feed her, then do it everyday. Look up "Team Tube Feeding" by Casportpony here on BYC, there are quite a few threads that address many of the questions about tube feeding that you have.

I agree with @ChickenCanoe that quality of life (her life) needs to be considered. Since cross beak is usually genetic, she may have other disabilities that have not shown up yet, it's a gamble. You don't want to use her for breeding.
IF you want to try to see if she will pull through, then trimming the beak may help - also tube feeding a couple of times a day along with making wet feed available free choice. Some people report these birds can learn to "scoop" wet feed vs. having to pick up pellets or crumbles. I would also worry that she would easily become dehydrated. There needs to be a commitment of your time to her, if that is not something that you can do, then culling would be kindest.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it/

At a week old she was picked on by her siblings and developed a bleeding wound under her beak. I pulled her out and treated it and she was fine for another week.
Then the beaks started to grow uneven. I think this is due to the wound as it must have damaged the growth plates and not a genetic thing.
My main goal is to see if we can get her to egg laying age and if she is getting enough nutrition to lay. and/or (if she never lays) to get her to weigh the same as her siblings. She seems to be doing well other than needing more calories.
I watch her every day and she gets water just fine. It's just the feed that's an issue for her. I was told to try a bit of wet cat food in her mash to tempt her to try and eat more of it. She seems to prefer the dry right now and snubs her mash. But she still snuggles with her siblings and roosts with them.
I'm part of group on Facebook that deals with crossbeaks and other special needs birds and their chickens have been alive for quite a while. many years.
I agree that I don't want her to suffer and want her to have a good quality of life. But if her only issue is getting calories, then I can help her with that. We did a tube feed session today and got about 1 oz in her. she did well. I did a mix of her feed and nutri drench.
The ladies on the crossbeak page gave me 2 or 3 other recipes to use, and some for her mash to tempt her to eat more and forgo the dry that seems to be giving her the most trouble.

At a week old she was picked on by her siblings and developed a bleeding wound under her beak. I pulled her out and treated it and she was fine for another week.
Then the beaks started to grow uneven. I think this is due to the wound as it must have damaged the growth plates and not a genetic thing.
My main goal is to see if we can get her to egg laying age and if she is getting enough nutrition to lay. and/or (if she never lays) to get her to weigh the same as her siblings. She seems to be doing well other than needing more calories.
I watch her every day and she gets water just fine. It's just the feed that's an issue for her. I was told to try a bit of wet cat food in her mash to tempt her to try and eat more of it. She seems to prefer the dry right now and snubs her mash. But she still snuggles with her siblings and roosts with them.
I'm part of group on Facebook that deals with crossbeaks and other special needs birds and their chickens have been alive for quite a while. many years.
I agree that I don't want her to suffer and want her to have a good quality of life. But if her only issue is getting calories, then I can help her with that. We did a tube feed session today and got about 1 oz in her. she did well. I did a mix of her feed and nutri drench.
The ladies on the crossbeak page gave me 2 or 3 other recipes to use, and some for her mash to tempt her to eat more and forgo the dry that seems to be giving her the most trouble.
Sounds good! I hope all goes well for you and her:)

Be very careful when dosing the Nutri-Drench. As fine of a product as it is for supplementing essential nutrients for compromised birds, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.
The vitamins, minerals and amino acids N-D contains, while essential, are not sufficient compensation for the same nutrients and the carbohydrates and fats provided by full feeding a complete poultry feed.

Weigh her, then start with 2-3% of her body weight. If she tolerates that well and does not vomit you can increase a little at the next feeding. The most I give is about 5% of their body weight.

2 ml to 5 ml per 100 grams of body weight should be your target amount.

This is the best tubing link I have found:
https://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

Back
Top Bottom