How much should Call Ducks Eat?

Say What

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
I got my seven male Call Ducks a week ago. They are 14 weeks old. They have a large pen and are very active in the pool. They are in coop at night. They don't seem nervous and know my voice. But the food isn't going very fast. I'm feeding them Purina Sunfresh Flock Raiser. And It's in the coop at night too.

Roughly how long do you think this 5 lb bag should last? Other tips?

I have runners not calls, but here is what is in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks (first edition).

from the table "Suggested Feeding Schedule for Adult Ducks" p 203

size of duck - 2 - 3 pounds

Holding period when birds are not producing (pounds of 12 - 14% protein feed)
0.15 - 0.25 per bird daily

3 Weeks prior to and during laying season (pounds of 16% protein feed)
0.20 - 0.30 per bird daily

How much do calls weigh? A pound and a half? If they weigh 2 pounds, and you have 7, that would be 1.05 pounds per day for the whole group.

I don't think the arithmetic works this way, but if they weigh 1.5 pounds which is 75% of 2 pounds, maybe that would be .8 pounds per day. Times seven days would be 5.6 pounds.

They have a large pen. Are they finding alot of worms, slugs and bugs? Getting treats?

Re-reading your original post, at 14 weeks, maybe they aren't even half a pound yet. I think they are okay. Are they making fertilizer? If you offer them some treats, are they eating them? Things like finely chopped cucumber, or small green peas?

Last edited:
Thanks. They get a LITTLE bit of cracked corn. No slugs etc. No way am I near empty on that 5 lb bag after a week. That's why I'm so curious. If they were lethargic I would understand. But they seem quite happy. They do eat the corn when I toss it in the pool. But not a lot of interest in the food. I was told the corn was a treat. Is that right?

They don't eat alot, a rule of thumb, would be cut it half for birds, so if you have 7 calls, it's more like 3.5 ducks lol calls usually don't even make two pounds, none of mine are, i have one drake the rest are ladies(yes, nuts and loud!!) i have a 3lb hanging feeder for them, duck grower with a bit of whole oats and cracked corn. They are on the ground so forage daily. I don't fill it often at all. now winter when foraging will decrease and then cease food intake will bump. I am fortunate my calls can piggy back on my big flock of ducks, as grower is only in a 55lb bag here.. they'd be dead before they finished it lol

Last edited:
Thanks, GQ!
Your welcome!
cool.png

GQ. Well said. It will be interesting to measure when the 5 lbs runs out vs 5 lbs in winter.

Should I have food in coop or outside? They are only in coop at night even though door is open. No water in coop.

GQ. Well said. It will be interesting to measure when the 5 lbs runs out vs 5 lbs in winter.

Should I have food in coop or outside? They are only in coop at night even though door is open. No water in coop.
Ducks must have water if they have food, it's not possible for them to otherwise. Up to you really, i do both, mine don't have access to their coop, the run is separate so i haul the 3lb feeder back n forth, a couple minutes of hassle but worth it lol

Update. They are eating very well. Maybe it was just the new home and the new food. My local farm store sells Flock Raiser.

Problem: Bunnies like it too! Any ideas how to create access for ducks only? What about suspended over their pool? Height above water?

I am stumped, partly because I don't have rabbits. Perhaps you could set up a feed stand in the middle of the pool. Then there would be a moat around the food. Of course, the water would become very interesting by the end of the day...

Back
Top Bottom