How much should I be feeding?

foureyeddragon

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I have a layer pellet for my chickens, and I am wondering how much I should be feeding a day, and how much of their food should come from foraging. Right now 2 chickens they are getting 2 cups a day that I spread around their run to give them some entertainment in finding it.

I've always free fed. I keep the feeders full. I usually have to fill them every couple days, less in the summertime.

Have much land do they have access to? How rich is the grass? bugs? worms? I ask, because you mentioned a run.

They have an 6 x 6 enclosure. I am hoping that eventually I will be able to free range them. My Buff Orp doesn't have a very good track record on returning to the coop at night though. Their enclosure consists of part grass and part weeds/ivy. They are tearing up the grass pretty fast though.

Virtually none of their caloric intake is going to come from a run. Thus, a confined adult bird needs 4 to 6 ounces of feed per day. A large fowl will eat more, obviously, than bantam. Our birds easily consume the feed at the 6 ounce level, unless they've been allowed to free range for 4-6 hours.

Back
Top Bottom