How much should I interact with my chicks to keep them used to me?

Quote:
awhhh
love.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
thanks
smile.png
My biggest chick is the male and he's already such a sweetie. He lets me know he wants me to put my hand over him so he can snuggle which is just so darn cute! I named the lil buggar Toby, and the lil hen hubby wants me to name Shmiskit. LOL. I have an adult hen that we call Shmicken so I assume I'll have several more that get named Sh names.
smile.png

Sounds like i got LOTS of spoiling to do!
smile.png

Congrats on your sweet babies! Love on them every moment you get the chance! As for spoiling a roo, there are differences of opinion on whether or not the cockerels should be handled or babied like the pullets. Just remember that when this cockerel hits his adolescence, it's going to be just like it is with kids. One day your sweet, loving little cherub faced boy is going to turn hormonal and you're going to want to rename him something evil. Just remember that this too shall pass! Don't cull him, don't rehome him, and don't keep drop kicking him like you're trying out for place kicker on a pro team. It's normal, he'll be trying to prove he's a grownup and ready to take charge of the flock. Do yourself a favor and read Rooster Red's behavior modification page for dealing with hormonal or stubborn roos when the time comes, and don't give up!

Yes, yes, yes. Handle them as much and as often as you can (except when they are asleep). I handled my 3 B's all the time and they sometimes chase me just for fun. I often find them all sitting patiently at the back door waiting to get in...good grief what have I created???
roll.png

Quote:
lau.gif
thanks
smile.png
My biggest chick is the male and he's already such a sweetie. He lets me know he wants me to put my hand over him so he can snuggle which is just so darn cute! I named the lil buggar Toby, and the lil hen hubby wants me to name Shmiskit. LOL. I have an adult hen that we call Shmicken so I assume I'll have several more that get named Sh names.
smile.png

Sounds like i got LOTS of spoiling to do!
smile.png

Congrats on your sweet babies! Love on them every moment you get the chance! As for spoiling a roo, there are differences of opinion on whether or not the cockerels should be handled or babied like the pullets. Just remember that when this cockerel hits his adolescence, it's going to be just like it is with kids. One day your sweet, loving little cherub faced boy is going to turn hormonal and you're going to want to rename him something evil. Just remember that this too shall pass! Don't cull him, don't rehome him, and don't keep drop kicking him like you're trying out for place kicker on a pro team. It's normal, he'll be trying to prove he's a grownup and ready to take charge of the flock. Do yourself a favor and read Rooster Red's behavior modification page for dealing with hormonal or stubborn roos when the time comes, and don't give up!

thanks I will have to read it
smile.png
I've had several roos, but never been challenge to the point i felt my life was in danger hehe!

My roos haven't challenged ME, but they were getting REALLY sneery with each other and the ladies to the point some of the pullets were terrified to go outside into the run. I did have too many roos for the number of pullets I had (I later lost one to an impacted crop, dang it, b/c he really was a sweetie SLW), and there are now 3 (not including the BBRed bantam roo who thinks he's King Kong, but more like a member of the Lollipop Guild
lau.gif
). They've worked out the pecking order / hierarchy and basically have it figured out that if the younger 2 stay out of the alpha roo Sarge's way, they can all take charge of some ladies and everybody will be happy. Back when the 2 younger ones were hormonal and it was making them ALL goofy, including Sarge feeling the need to reassert himself as leader, I had to step in a few times to settle things back down to a simmer. I'd pick up whichever roo was being the stinker at the time and carry him around tucked under my arm, just gently reminding him that there was only a Big Roo boss when MamChicken (i. e. ME!) was not out there.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
haha sounds like I'll probably be doing that myself! Only got one roo up there now I call him Wimpy Cowboy, he's VERY wimpy (and his spurs are long so he walks like a cowboy hence his name) so I can see him getting bullied by younger roos when they are old enough to go in...however he may take that advantage to be bossy...so we'll see who I'll have to show hows "top roo" to.

I am so sorry to hear about your one roo you lost!
sad.png
Wyandottes are absolutly stunning! I have a GLW hen, and am getting some BLRW hatching eggs in the spring...I cannot wait to see those roos in person!
smile.png
love.gif

So I'm wanting to have my chicks very well socialized, but I'm brand new as well and worried about over doing it. When you first start holding them will they always do a worried chirp at least in the beginning, is that okay? I'm holding my hand out with food in it and they eat out of that and then I've picked them up for only about a minute. If they are doing the worried chirp should I put them down right away, only hold them for a bit, or hold them till they aren't doing the worried chirp anymore(as long as they aren't cold)? They are all just 2 days old, so I'm not pushing I'm just wondering for going forward.

I had 3 chicks, and then later got 3 more. One had a splayed leg, (unfortunately, I think she/he's a boy, and we can't keep Roos here), but the treatment we used probably wasn't the best. It involved picking the chick up, flipping him/her, and reapplying the rubber band, because it kept falling off. The good news is, it worked. The bad news is, now all three of the older girls will chirp loudly and frantically if I chase them with my hand or pick them up. I am afraid that they won't like being picked up when they are older. Amy suggestion? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom