How much should I pay for Isa browns and Rhode Island Reds?

KelleyMarie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 11, 2010
Rapid City
Hi, I am getting my coop up and I have someone who is willing to sell me some hens about a year old. How much should I pay for them?

She has 46 Hens and is willing to get me started with a few this winter and I am wanting to do chicks in the spring, just couldn't wait for eggs
smile.png

thanks for your help

The prices I have seen on craigslist for layers ranges from $8-25.

Make sure they are healthy!!! No runny noses or eyes. No head shaking. Look at their feet for sores. Check between their feathers and under their wings (and the vent area is good to check also) for mites (and lice eggs). Their feathers should look smooth unless they are molting (usually around 18 months but mini-molts occur too).

Their eyes should be clear. They should look bright and snappy, not lethargic.

I suppose you have no other chickens- so no quarantine?

If they do have bugs you can dust them with poultry dust but you must repeat treatment until they are gone every so often (depends on the bug). These come from the songbirds.

If you want them then they are worth whatever the seller asks , If you don't want them then they are worth nothing . How well you know the seller , how close to you they are , and the condition of the birds are all factors in their worth , but the main question is If you want/need the chickens , the seller has them , where else in your aera can you find them and what do thay cost there .
I bought 6 2 weeks ago for $5.00 each , but that was an auction with lots of sellers and not many buyers , I would sell those here for 12.

i really like my ISA....i wouldnt waste my time or money on RIR...they cant compete with the ISA for sheer production. i got mine at TOWN LINE POULTRY FARM in michigan. they are a yr old as of today. i believe last yr. Town Line quite hatching this time of yr. i got the last hatch. im sold on them.

I sold my excess pullets after they started laying for $10 apiece.

Quote:
last batch i had were 9 hens. 1.5 yrs old when i sold them. i averaged, 7 eggs per day. only remeber getting full 9 a day a couple of times. thats how uncommon it was to get 100%.....after the comets and SIA started laying...they blew the RIR away...

but your right. the RIR were the calmest" friendliest" layers ive ever had.

right now im running a RIR rooster over the sia and comets. i have a few young from that cross that should lay in a couple of months. im curious if they will retain the numbers of the sexlink or resort back to teh RIR numbers.

thank you for your responses.

I have no birds currently , the gal only lives about 20miles from my home.
I got her name from a friend who works with the collage msu extension and she works with the 4H so I am sure
she takes care of her hens.

I just didn't want to go in not knowing how much they may or may not be worth. I have asked her to be my chicken mentor
smile.png

I don't want any animals to be neglected because I don't know what I am doing, I am going to her place later this week to check
out her coop n such so that I better know what is expected from me and what I should have for my hens. and honestly when I was a
girl we had white chickens and I was so afraid of them so I may get there and just be to dang afraid . So a little bit at a time baby steps .

Back
Top Bottom