How much should I pay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MomtoSyd&Emma, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    While at the feed store today an employee there knows we have chickens and asked if we wanted anymore to which I replied of course lol I asked her what they were and she said that they came from a feedstore order last spring as chicks that her Mom bought and that they have way to many now, I asked what kinds and she said RIR and some light brown real fluffy ones (I am thinking/hoping that they are buff orpingtons or rocks). I asked her what they are asking and she said what are they going for? I am not sure!! I paid 8 each for my pullets, she said these are laying (brown eggs of course) I am thinking $6.00 each for them, as on craigslist they are going for $65 for 10 hens and a rooster. What do you all think??

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Sounds like a great deal to me!

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

If you havent told them the price maybe you could get them for less? I just bought a mixed flock for $2 a bird! That is a REALLY great deal but maybe you could get them for around $4? Since they are laying now they would be a year old and ready for a molt? Terri O in WI

4. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Here young laying hens sell for $12-$15. I sell my normal birds (RIRs, Rocks, Orps) at $2 + $0.50/week of age with a max of $15 (as if any stayed in stock that long [​IMG] ). Sounds like a good deal assuming they are all healthy and you have room for them and a quarantine area big enough. I wouldn't try to go too low with an employee at the feed store, you might end up getting the bags of feed from the old pile. I bought a pair of roos from a lady yesterday that didn't know what she had (and I'm not disclosing here [​IMG] ) and I paid her twice her asking price so as not to rip her off (at least not too badly). I figure now I have a customer for life.

5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Chickens are really expensive your way!

6. MomtoSyd&Emma

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I would offer $10 each but honestly money is tight and the more I can save on buying them the better for us! I dont know what to offer dang it lol

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    MomtoSyd&Emma :

I would offer $10 each but honestly money is tight and the more I can save on buying them the better for us! I dont know what to offer dang it lol

depends on how many I guess? I would offer 5$ and maybe they will counter offer? Your doing them a favor remember...​

8. MomtoSyd&Emma

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Quote:depends on how many I guess? I would offer 5$ and maybe they will counter offer? Your doing them a favor remember...

We have a 10 hen limit here in the city, we already have 4 that I will be keeping and I will probably rehome our 2 bantams to my brother or uncle. So we can technically only add 6 more to our flock! If it wasnt for the law we would buy all they would sell us and roll on because we have almost an acre and its fully fenced in (except our driveway and meter area)

9. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yesterday I bought 3 white ameraucanas, 1 welsummer, 5 black ameraucanas pullets for $5 each. I think that's a fair price.

I bought them off craigslist from a breeder.

10. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I usually ask myself what am I willing to pay... or what are they worth to me... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by