how much should khaki campbell weigh?

fatty and friends

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 27, 2020
michigan
my girl is 2.5 pounds so i’m just wondering if that’s a normal weight for her breed? most websites are telling me either 3 pounds or 5 pounds so i’m a little confused

she eats a good quality duck feed and gets snack through the day too (veggies, fruit, dried bugs, eggs, etc)

she does lay an egg almost everyday if that has anything to do with it

My khaki weighed almost 3lbs. But since she was a rescue I can't guarantee that she wasn't mix. She sure looked like one, though. My dark khaki is the same in both weight, and rescue status.

A better way to assess body condition is by the breast on either side of the keel bone. My vet told me that the avian body condition score charts are for parrots and it is normal for ducks to be a little leaner.

Also, weighing your bird at regular intervals and comparing her weight fluctuations can give you good information. I recommend not using a human scale (unless it is for infants) because they aren't precise enough.

If you are still worried a vet can palpate her for you and easily make you feel better, or let you know if you have a reason to worry. I was worried and my vet made me feel better immediately. I was so used to feeling chubby breasted parrots!!

BC4D8E6C-8B71-4DFB-883B-88C34A0711B2.jpeg

The ducks can really range in weight. I have a rescue khaki Campbell that had some stunted growth due to someone poorly feeding her first week of life. While she is small, she is a solid duck. So weight is not always the best thing to go by unless notice a measured drop in weight. The keel test, like @KaleIAm mentioned, is the best way.

Back
Top Bottom