Oct 5, 2008
Ohio
i have 27 chicks in 1 coop.
they are 5,6 and 7 weeks old.
how long should a 50lb bag of
starter last? they get veg/table
scraps almost daily as well.
thank you.

I have 21 the same age in the brooder. I don't really know how long the bag lasts because I don't pay to much attention to that but I am filling the feeder twice a day so they do eat alot!. I must use 3-4 scoops daily to keep it full and I would guess the scoop holds around 5 cups? HTH:)

Chickens will only eat till they're full. They don't over-indulge like people do sometimes....... You should just be giving them as much food as they want, just keep their feeders full!
smile.png

I had 44 at 14-15 weeks and went through 50# in a week in less that a week, if that helps. I do feed some scraps and scratch, but only a small volume.

I agree, don't let the feeders go empty.

I also don't let the feeders go empty. For those that I free range, and haven't had to add to what's in the feeder in a while. For the chicks I have in a separate pen outside, I have to add a gallon scoop twice, every day and I can't keep up with them. I'm about ready to free range them
hmm.png

I have 60 2 week old chicks and they go through a 50lbs bag plus some I dont feed scraps and I dont feed scratch but I do have a light on them 24-7 so they will eat at night to..

I all so have around 20 chicks around 5 weeks old and they eat 50lbs a week there is a light on them 24-7 too...

Chris

50#s should last you about 3 weeks with that amount of chicks that age. Maybe a little longer with scraps. You will see that time decrease over the next few weeks though. Their appetites grow faster than they do. I now have 21 chickens, all mostly grown and i'm going thru 50#s every 2 weeks, with moderate treats. I made my feeders from 3" PVC pipe and get no waste at all. Am working on getting details and pics for these feeders. Will follow up with instructions when i get the rest of my to do list done. LOL

Back
Top Bottom