How much sleep is too much for chicks?

chickmama53

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I got my very first chicks one week ago. They seemed to be doing fine, except the last couple of days they are asleep everytime I check on them. How much do week old chicks normally sleep. They also huddle together just outside of where the light/heat hits. All except for one, that is. One chick is always asleep by herself on the other side of the brooder; this is also the only check that has had the pasty butt problem. Do you think I have a problem or is this normal behaviour?
Thanks for your help!

If you work all day and come home at night then they'd naturally be asleep. Do they appear to be eating at a normal rate? If their food doesn't need to be replenished frequently I'd be worried. Are they feathering out?
Your loner chick may be in a decline, a healthy chick craves company.

Possibly check your temps. If I have the heat too high, then they sleep more, which isn't so great because they are supposed to be eating, drinking, and growing. It seems like I have more trouble with the huge, deep plastic bins that I use when they are brooding inside the house. I raise the light just 1/2 an inch or an inch and they wake up and start moving about. I have to keep my eye on the thermometer that I place in the brooder to make sure it's not too high or low.

After I move them out to the brooder house with a regular brooder hover, they seem to regulate themselves better because, I think, they are getting a tiny bit more air movement (but not a draft).

Also, you could just wake them up when you get home. Mine are awake and asleep on and off all day/evening. I often even find mine awake in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom