how much space do i really need for a single bird?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BrianaBones, Mar 9, 2012.

1. BrianaBones

BrianaBones Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    So I'm considering my coop options. I just have one chicken. Shes still inside now, and for a few more weeks.
    When she does move outside, she'll have full run of my small backyard. There is a 6 foot fence all the way around, so i'm confident she'll be safe out there.
    I was actually thinking of converting a dollhouse into a coop/ nest box, but I'm just not sure if that will be big enough. There would be about 4 sq feet inside, enough for a nest box, and a place to roost.

I live in So Cal, near the beach. It never gets very cold here, nor very hot. generally around 65-75 year round.

What do you guys think?
    is that enough space?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The 4 sq ft is meant for floor space, not including a nest box. But chickens are flock animals and do better when they have a companion or two; have you considered getting one or two more?

3. BrianaBones

BrianaBones Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    Ventura, California
    I can't unfortunately. I have an HOA. We're not supposed to have poultry, so the only way that I can have a chicken is if she is one of my 2 household pets.

I mostly work at home though, and I'm hoping that the diaper harness I ordered will work out so that she can have the run of the house with me and the cat all day when I'm home.

I might try to sneak by with another one in the future. I want to wait a while and see how it goes with one first though.

4. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    These are just my two cents, but if you have only one chicken and she will be a household pet, she is probably better off in the house with you in a diaper harness, with as much time outside as possible in a little run, or with supervision. I have had pet house geese & ducks before, and they get lonely easily. Very social animals. A pet house chicken, or duck, or goose, can be very happy, so long as they are kept clean, given outside time, and are not lonely. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by