How much space when 30 meat chicks arrive

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CDennis, Oct 27, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I have only ever raised small batches of chicks/turkeys never over 12 at a time. I am getting 30 red broilers from Ideal at the start of November and I need some help deciding how much room they will need at first. Its starting to get cold here w/ highs in the 50's and low's in the 30's so they are going to need to be in my barn in a brooder w/ a heat lamp. I hope to be able to free-range them a little but I guess that depends on the weather as they get a little older. I have started all my other guys in a 30 gallon fish tank, and then moved them into a 75 gallon stock tank. I use the 30 gallon fish tank because it seems to keep the heat better when they are young but I think this might be too small for 30 even during the first week. Any suggestions?

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I would use the 75 gallon stock tank with a heat bulb.

3. MeatBird

MeatBird New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    We use roof flashing in a circle and with shavings. We expanded it as they grow, the aluminum flashing reflects the heat well.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree I would use the stock tank. You could partition part of it off at first if you wanted, but I wouldn't.

5. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I might use 2 lights spread apart. They tend to pile up under one light. 2 lights makes them spread out more. Piling seems to be a big problem with them. Dead chickies in the morning. 75 gallon tank for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by