how much spacer per single rooster?

Rookie Raiser

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2013
i ordered 7 chicks from a bantam variety pack and they only had straight runs. i am expecting to get at least a couple roos and would like to keep them, just not with the hens (one will probly go with hens). so i was wondering what you guys thought would be the best space for them. i was thinking about getting a 10 X 10 dog pen and depending on how many extra roos i get, sectioning off quarters at a time.

for example- if i dont get any roos (which i doubt will happen) then i will just use the entire pen for the chickens, then if i get 1 roo i will spit it up into 1/4 and 3/4; 2 roos 1/2 and 1/2 then get another pen for other chicks; 3 1/4 each with 1/4 extra(maybe for storage); so on and so on.

also, what should i do for coops for any extra roos (keep in mind they are bantams)

any opinions? (tell me if non of that made sense lol)

Thanks
smile.png

They might do OK all living together if the females aren't close by, so they don't get their competitiveness stirred up.

Yep, flockwatcher has a point, we have a banty roo coop.. it has a pair(from a SR, raised together) they get on.. they don't have girls the coop is small, some cheapy pre-built BUT they are silkies so small birds.. the run i did quite plentiful.. probably 8ft wide by 12ft long(i'd have to measure), it surrounds this coop/mini run combo, i wanted to ensure they had plenty of space as they don't free range.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom