How much starter feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Evergreen160, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Evergreen160

Evergreen160 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2011
    Foothills of Colorado
    Anyone have an idea how much starter feed I will need for 6 chicks? Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Because you can feed the Starter all the way to maturity, I see no reason to buy a small bag. A 40 or 50 pound bag is always more economical.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    by starter, do you mean chick starter? i know that must be pretty obvious, but i don't want to mistake.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I agree.

Since they'll be eating it till they're laying, buy the 50lb bag!

[​IMG]

5. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    i started with a 5lb medicated chick starter bag just in case mine didn't hatch. I am getting a 25lb bag next time because i think those come in a resealable bag. i have 5 chicks that are a week and 1/2 old

6. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    A 50lbs bag of chick starter lasted me 5 weeks with 8 chicks!

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I hatch and grow out quite a few chicks a year. I would recommend you to get a 50lb bag of 18-21% Protein Chick Starter. It will seem like a lot but every day they grow and they will eat more and more everyday until they are full size. A 50lb bag can last a long time depending on the breed or breeds you will have. I currently have about 50 1-2 week old LF birds and 11 LF Birds that are about 10 weeks old and they have gone through about 4 50 lb bags of chick starter in the past 3 weeks. The 11 10 week olds eat more than the 50 1-2 week old chicks. What breeds will you have?

Nate

8. Don P

Don P Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2012
    It really is better to switch the young chickens over to a 20% Grower/Developer/Broiler feed after the 1st 4-6 weeks on Starter feed.

It also depends if you choose to use a medicated starter (which I never would), but for those who do you do not want to keep them on that after 4-6 weeks. Switch to grower

You want to let them eat all they want but usually depending on the feed quality, 6 chicks will eat 20 # in 2 weeks but it depends on food quality and feed type and spillage. Be sure to give chick grit if not in the feed.

From a couple hatcheries:

A question we commonly get is how long to feed baby chicks "starter feed" for before switching to a feed called "grower" or "chick grower". The answer is: it all depends! Each manufacturer formulates their feed differently, so read the label and follow their instructions. Some only recommend the starter for 4 weeks before moving onto grower;

Baby chicks need to eat chick starter mash or crumbles, a blend specially formulated for their growth and development. Layer mash, crumbles, or pellets should never be fed to chicks, not even as an emergency ration. It has a high calcium content that is toxic to chicks and will cause bone, liver, and kidney problems or cause death. A good emergency ration is a 50-50 blend of rolled oats and cornmeal, whirled in a food blender to a mash or crumble consistency. They should not be on this emergency ration for more than a day or so, as it does not constitute a balanced diet. Starter feeds should contain no greater than 21% protein for dual-purpose or egg-type chickens – too much protein causes growth problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by