How much stress is too much?

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
We are having our chicks delivered next month (12 of mine, 36 for my sister which I will be watching for a few weeks for her).

I had this crazy thought of having my daughter's preschool class come to our place for a field trip. See the baby chicks, tour the chicken coop before it gets all chickeny, that sort of thing.

But I am wondering when i should schedule this for. I want the babies to have time to get a little sturdier before 30 preschoolers start passing them around, but I would like to have the kids over while the chicks are still fuzzy.

Think one week old is too soon? How long should I wait before inviting the mob over?

Mob might be dangerous. LOL. I brought 2 two day old chicks, a month old, and a year old, to a 1st grade class and none of the students were allowed to touch the ones under a month old. Teacher's rules for the class. I let them hold the one month old bird though as if they dropped it, it would be fine.

I personally would maybe let each student go line up and pet the chick while you were holding it, but I don't know if I'd let the kids hold them per se, especially en mass. Then again. I don't have kids yet and they are no where in my near future. Good luck with what ever you decide. I guess most importantly is the chicks stay warm.

Small hands don't mean to be rough but they are very rough. It only takes one too many squeezes to injure or kill a chick. I would not let them hold small chicks. Not all children are equal in sensitivity. Maybe a month or 6 weeks old would be better sized for smaller hands.

What a wonderful field trip that would be for the preschoolers. I would make sure to have lots of volunteer parents, and maybe just a viewing of the chicks, not actually holding them, you could demonstrate how to hold, care for etc. Just in time for Easter too, what a treat! Have fun!!
smile.png

Ok, thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll do the holding and just let them pet.

The neat part is that I had a chat with out next door neighbor about having the kids come over to see the chicks and he offered to do a demo with one of his bee hives for them while they were here. So this will be the real birds and the bees trip.

Now, if I can only convince my other neighbor to bring her miniature goats over...

Nice of your neighbor! The goats would be cute too. 30 preschoolers? Wow, that is a lot in one class. There are 18 in the class here and 20 in the other.

That is actually 2 classes, but they go on field trips together. So there are approximately 15 in each class.

Yeah, I did warn the teachers that if we do this, it MUST be on a sunny day so the kids can have full run of the yard and jungle gym. I am not even considering thirty 4 year olds in my house! :eek:

We'll see. I am not committed to the chick outing yet.

Somehow my husband roped me into going to the school to do a sabre fencing demonstration for the class this week (they are doing a unit on knights and castles and my DH thought it would be fun to do this). Well, I tried my fencing uniform on for the first time in nearly 10 years today and let's just say it wasn't pretty...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom