how much time a day do you spend with your chickens?

Fresh water and feed first thing in the morning (10 min.), then when it gets hot in the afternoon, I take them some frozen watermelon rind or other scraps/treats (10 min), and then around 6:00, I open the run, sit in my lawn chair to enjoy free-ranging chicken TV until they go to roost (1 hr. 45 minutes). So about two hours, give or take, each day. That's not counting the trips out to collect eggs - which I'm still doing compulsively throughout the day. I'm into my third month of having chickens, so I'm sure my enthusiasm will wane somewhat in the coming months - but, for now, being outside with the chickens is very soothing and centering for me. Health-wise for me, keeping chickens is one of the best things I've ever done. Now, if I could figure out a way to get in aerobic exercise while watching chicken TV, I'd have it made.
lol.png

Anywhere from 2-6 hours in a day, sometimes more. I supervise all the free ranging and I also sit on my chair inside the coop or run. I have a lot of time on my hands. I'm physically disabled, so there is not much else I can do. Spending time with my girls helps me deal with my day much better. I've found the birds are therapeutic for me. I have 8 very friendly lap chickens.
love.gif

Quote:
My story and time is pretty much the same I am a disabled stay at home mom/housewife with a 16 yo son going into 11th grade this year. I have more "time on my hands now". So I can spend more time watching the Chicken Channel. 15 mins morning--15 mins afternoon--than about 2 hours evening when I let them out in open run This is when I usually give them their "treats" and check them over and just "talk" with them..(I sit out there with them until bedtime and they go to roast). We have one closed in run attached to coop they use during times I am not out with them. And then when I am out with them they have the open run--closed in run and coop all available to them...so they have alot of room and go ballistic with utter abandonment...LOL because it is all surrounded by bamboo which they LOVE!!!!

Now some days I may spend more time with them or less depending on the day--church night or meetings etc...but I try to keep it as a regular routine..And my girls keep a pretty tight schedule--when they head to roost...I can pretty much tell you within 10 mins what time it is--has been that way from day one...I scheduled them like that when they were in brooder in my home...so I know it works...

And also on days I am cleaning coop of course, I spend more time but that's a given...and if I have had a particularly hard day or some problem I have to mull over I say I'm going to spend some time with the "girls" and everyone knows where I will be and I just need some time for myself...and I take a cup of coffee and a book or a copy of one of my chicken magazines and just watch them or read and one of them (or more) will sit on my lap and let me pet them....it is SOO relaxing and then I am ready to function again..
love.gif

I follow about the same schedule as most of you do but I'm a teacher, single mother, home for the summer with my three kiddos. I'm worried when the school year starts that I'll have enough time to spend with them before it's dark. Those two hours after dinner where they free range are my favorite and I'll just have t move it earlier. I'm also concerned about the winter and their coop. Can you tell, I've only had my 5 silkies since March?
bow.gif
I worry about them just like the kids!

Depends on what is considered "time with your chickens" - If it means any form of interaction, I'd say at LEAST 5 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom