how much time between wormings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahswank, Jan 29, 2014.

1. sarahswank

sarahswank Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Garden City, Kansas
    I have searched high and low and I still feel a bit confused. To start off, I have 70+ chickens and only free time on the weekends.

Everyone seems to reccommend 10 days between worming treatments.(wazine in water and ivermec pour-on?) however, I only have the weekends where i have time to worm chickens. Even removing water in evening and putting in treated water the next day would have to be a weekend job. Do I do a 7 day wait in between wormings or 14 days?

Also, is it possible to be safe and effective to instead do one dose of ivermec pour-on? I havent seen actual worms, but because of their unthrifyness I suspect it. I was hoping that I could do one dose and not be too risky on protien poisoning from dead worms.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ivermectin is not a very good wormer any more since worms have built up resistance to it. Wazine only gets 1 of the many kinds of chicken worms--round worm. The best wormers for chickens are fenbendazole which is in SafeGuard horse paste and liquid goat wormers, and albendazole or Valbazen. They get most worms, and Valbazen gets all including tapes. From the reading I've done on several links, I think it is perfectly fine to do the re-worming at 14 days for the worm eggs.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's best to worm birds orally with safeguard or valbazen rather than depending on your birds to drink treated water especially in the winter time when birds arnt as thirsty as in the hot summertime. They may not drink enough of the treated water for the wormer to be effective.
    Seventy birds can be wormed individually in one day if they are all pre-located in a pen or run. Or if it's too much, worm 35 birds by breed one day and the others that are left over the next day. For example: Worm RIR's, Barred Rocks and EE's the first day, other breeds the next day. That way there's be no confusion as to what birds got wormed or not.
    If they are all one breed, use a black magic marker or black felt tip pen and mark both sides of the comb once you worm them. Worm the unmarked ones the next day. Reworm your birds again in 10 days with one of the procedures above of your choice.
    Dosage for safeguard liquid goat wormer and valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer are the same; administered orally using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc orally undiluted to standard size birds, 1/4cc orally undiluted to smaller birds. Pull the wattles down and the hens mouth will open. Squirt the liquid wormer in the hens mouth and immediately let go of her wattles so she swallow the liquid on her own, if you dont, she could aspirate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by