How much time does a duck need in a pond daily

Usually here in my part of the world Western North Carolina the worst of breeding is March through Sept. They can breed year-round but they don't here. When things are really heating up with breeding My oldest Runner drake goes after my Muscovy females he is 5 they are 10 so he and his flock get separated from the Muscovy for a while. Now that we're into Sept. He puts his head down to make them back off but he isn't chasing them down now.

Usually here in my part of the world Western North Carolina the worst of breeding is March through Sept. They can breed year-round but they don't here. When things are really heating up with breeding My oldest Runner drake goes after my Muscovy females he is 5 they are 10 so he and his flock get separated from the Muscovy for a while. Now that we're into Sept. He puts his head down to make them back off but he isn't chasing them down now.
Thanks for the help from me and my duck

Reunited the ducks and the bullying started up again. Tried to lure the boys into their run with peas but they were much too smart to fall for it but I managed to get the bully penned up on his own. He's mournfully standing in the pool and cheeping. Other ducks are in pond. Other drake trying to intimidate little one but not really successful. Any idea how long I'll have to do this to disrupt pattern? Any suggestions how to get all ducks into pen now that they are wary?

Some kind of treat they like. Herd by slowly walking slowly behind with arms open to guide. Or get someone to help as you herd to help guide them. Separating one time isn't going to do it. I'd keep the drakes separated from the females to give the females a break and let the bullied one have some time without being bullied. He maybe mournfully standing in the pool but that what happens when you bully you have to pay the price. Honestly, Most of us on here have to show tough love at times. I have a gander and Muscovy drake that can not be together during most of breeding season, mortal enemies. We do what we have to to keep the peace. I don't tolerate bullies they get time out. sometimes for months. Never alone though. Can you do this either separate the drakes together or split the females up between them and separate. Then you'll just have to make sure the girls aren;t being over mated.

Just taking that little bit of stress out of her life has to help alot. Many have to use drake jail over the worst part of breeding season.
It's been a week and we're separating them for about 8 hours in the middle of the day. Little duck has gained weight and her feathers look better. Bully drake still chases her when the whole group is together. I'm going to give it until the first week of October (or when little duck is as fat and sleek as the rest) and reassess. It's a hassle gathering them up in the morning and separating them but we're getting better at it. We may have to get rid of the drake (who would take him except to eat?) or the duck (I worry she would get bullied by a new flock). It feels good to have a plan b though. Thanks for the push to separate them.

I think your right about little duck if she would go to another flock. I hope eventually he'll back off and leave her alone. Glad to hear you have helped her have some stress-free time and it has paid off with her healthier.

Back
Top Bottom