How much time from "Pip" to "Zip"

I'vegotchickenfever

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Northwest Florida
I noticed 2 eggs (out of 36) cracked a little about 4 hours ago. But nothing much has happened since. Am I overly anxious? The temp is 99.5; humidity about 70% - 75%. I hear occasional peeping. Is a crack the same as a pip?

I think the norm is up to 24 hours from pip to zip. I had a pip yesterday at 8am and it didn't zip until 12:30am. It seems like forever! Good luck!
fl.gif

Usually anywhere from 12 to 36 hours. I've had some that have taken literally 10 minutes, others almost 48 hours...
he.gif

It's agravating and nerve racking, I call the last 3 days "torture time".
fl.gif

Last edited:
I had a pip yesterday at 8am and it didn't zip until 12:30am.

Thanks. So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying it took yours about 16 hours? WoW! I have a one track mind...I go from BYC to bator and back to BYC. I feel like going to the feed store - get a couple just to get my mind off that bator!
barnie.gif

I have to go back to work on Saturday....what am I gonna do??? how will I get my fix??? no...no puters at work for me.​

Last edited:
Oh are you kidding me? I always have to make sure that I'm gone when i have babies hatching, or I make myself crazy!!! I have nose smudge marks on my bator windows. Really it's quite pathetic.
big_smile.png

My husband says that I love my chickens more than him...I assure him that I do!!!!

I always have to make sure that I'm gone when i have babies hatching, or I make myself crazy!!! I have nose smudge marks on my bator windows. Really it's quite pathetic.

yuckyuck.gif

It's like you're looking thru my window. But we gotta see our first hatches...and yes...it is pathetic.​

Do you recall me having one pip last night? She JUST hatched a few minutes ago. LOL It takes forever. If it takes an hour, it is forever. If it takes 24 hours, it is forever. Trust me!!!
smile.png

I had 2 eggs take 24 hours from pip to zip ! Trust me it was night time and I went through lots of "AA" batteries in my handy flashlight peaking through the window every hour, well ok every 20 minutes!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom