1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much time from "Pip" to "Zip"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I'vegotchickenfever, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I noticed 2 eggs (out of 36) cracked a little about 4 hours ago. But nothing much has happened since. Am I overly anxious? The temp is 99.5; humidity about 70% - 75%. I hear occasional peeping. Is a crack the same as a pip?

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I think the norm is up to 24 hours from pip to zip. I had a pip yesterday at 8am and it didn't zip until 12:30am. It seems like forever! Good luck![​IMG]

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had some super quick pips and zips and then I've had some take 24 hours +. Sounds like you have ideal hatching conditions, so they are probably OK! I've got some pipping today myself! [​IMG]

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Usually anywhere from 12 to 36 hours. I've had some that have taken literally 10 minutes, others almost 48 hours...[​IMG]
    It's agravating and nerve racking, I call the last 3 days "torture time".[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. I'vegotchickenfever

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I had a pip yesterday at 8am and it didn't zip until 12:30am.

Thanks. So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying it took yours about 16 hours? WoW! I have a one track mind...I go from BYC to bator and back to BYC. I feel like going to the feed store - get a couple just to get my mind off that bator![​IMG]

I have to go back to work on Saturday....what am I gonna do??? how will I get my fix??? no...no puters at work for me.​

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Oh are you kidding me? I always have to make sure that I'm gone when i have babies hatching, or I make myself crazy!!! I have nose smudge marks on my bator windows. Really it's quite pathetic.[​IMG]
    My husband says that I love my chickens more than him...I assure him that I do!!!!

7. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. I'vegotchickenfever

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I always have to make sure that I'm gone when i have babies hatching, or I make myself crazy!!! I have nose smudge marks on my bator windows. Really it's quite pathetic.

[​IMG]

It's like you're looking thru my window. But we gotta see our first hatches...and yes...it is pathetic.​

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Do you recall me having one pip last night? She JUST hatched a few minutes ago. LOL It takes forever. If it takes an hour, it is forever. If it takes 24 hours, it is forever. Trust me!!! [​IMG]

10. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I had 2 eggs take 24 hours from pip to zip ! Trust me it was night time and I went through lots of "AA" batteries in my handy flashlight peaking through the window every hour, well ok every 20 minutes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by