How much time from "Pip" to "Zip"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I'vegotchickenfever, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mesa

Mesa Songster

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I have one that pipped last night between 8-10 pm... it's still not making any progress. I also had one pip earlier today, and it was out within 20 minutes!
    The one thats hatched out is a strong chick. I'm amazed at how awake it is already. The egg from last night has blood by the cracks in the shell. I hope it makes it... but I dont think it's quite ready to zip yet.
    I have 2 more pipped eggs now. They appear to be slow pokes too.

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    my handy flashlight peaking through the window every hour, well ok every 20 minutes!

c'mon now...who waits 20 whole minutes?[​IMG]

Y'all are very encouraging. Do you ever get tired of us newbies freakin' out?[​IMG]

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Every 20 minutes???? WOW you have some serious restraint!!! [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I'vegotchickenfever :

my handy flashlight peaking through the window every hour, well ok every 20 minutes!

c'mon now...who waits 20 whole minutes?[​IMG]

Y'all are very encouraging. Do you ever get tired of us newbies freakin' out?[​IMG]

LOL we were posting at the same time and obviously thinking the same thing. [​IMG]

No one gets tired of the freaking out! I don't consider myself a newbie anymore and I freak out too!!! It is frightening having control over these tiny little lives. You are doing great!!! [​IMG]

5. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    The egg from last night has blood by the cracks in the shell.

Is that common? I've heard of them bleeding some when they hatch...but when they pip?​

6. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I'vegotchickenfever :

I always have to make sure that I'm gone when i have babies hatching, or I make myself crazy!!! I have nose smudge marks on my bator windows. Really it's quite pathetic.

[​IMG]

It's like you're looking thru my window. But we gotta see our first hatches...and yes...it is pathetic.​

First hatch??? It's like my hundreth and I still do it....​

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: