1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much to charge for a 11-week NHR pullet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mlheran, May 18, 2007.

1. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinning my mixed flock a little and the NHR is the odd one out. [​IMG] I have an offer to buy her (was going to take her to the local feed store), but I have no clue what to ask (having never bought a grown chicken).

I'm in the CA Bay Area, bought her as a day-old chick for $2, and she's a nice big pullet now. I'd have to meet the buyer half-way (about 40 miles), so I'm not sure it would be worth it. How much do you think I should ask? $10? Would it be worth it for either of us? [​IMG] I'm glad there's interest in her, but I'd rather not have to have her cooped up in travel that long. Hmmm...

Have you ever bought started pullets? If so, how much -and did you go a great distance for them? Any thoughts appreciated!

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I've sold lots of started pullets. I like to buy orders form MM and then keep the best and sell what I don't like. It's a good way to try new breeds and learn what sort of characteristics you want in your birds. I'm always adding and subtracting from my flock! Anyway:

Usually I ask btw $8 and $15 depending on the breed. I had people purchase barred rocks from me 2 years ago, and they drove 2 1/2 hours to get here and I sold them 2 16 week pullets for $10 each. I've never delivered any of my birds, I drive a SUV and I like to drive as little as possible. If people want her bad enough they will travel. $10 is a good price.

3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the input! [​IMG]

I think I'm just going to take her to the feed store. They'll only give my $5-8, but I can get some feed and supplies with it. Plus the feed store's only 12 miles away!

It's a lot of fun having different breeds -I wish I could keep them all though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by