How much to charge.........

JoanneNC

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 8, 2007
I have someone who wants me to hatch them some chicks.
They would be a combination of pure Amerucanas and pure BBS Orpingtons. They would be from my eggs. My question is, do you simply charge by chick? This will be my first time hatching for someone else so not sure how to price.

Thanks for your help.
JoanneNC

I would do it by chick so that its fair without question. If you charge them for each egg and only 80% hatch they will be geeting ripped off. I would say a dollar per live chick.

If buying chicks from a person, i think the average is about $3.00 a chick.
At the feed store they are more than $4. If you order from a hatchery you have to order more but you can get them for ave. of $1.50, ( and less but you have to order more).
If you are just doing this as a favor, and you are not using your bator for anything else I think it is fair to charge anywhere from $2.00 and up, specially if they are pure.

Last edited:
I charged $1.00 per egg for a lady and she had 20 eggs. These were her eggs she got from someone else so I told her I didn't know how many would hatch. I had 16 hatch for her and she was happy with them. Your using your time and power to do this. If it's a friend as long as I have my eggs in the bator with hers then I don't charge anything. Just another side of the story.

You would need to poke around in your area and see what is normal and then adjust as you feel fair. In our area we charge $2.00 for Barnyard specials and $3.00 - 3.50 for pure bred chicks.

Sheila

Back
Top Bottom