1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much to feed 25 /7wk pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kingsfarm, Dec 2, 2011.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    They are eating 50# of starter grower a week....is this too much......$15 a 50# bag....they are going into a big pen today, too young to free range with the others? 40 other chickens in big flock...Please help with this.....Glenda

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

how much is wasted on the ground? I have no idea, but that sounds like a lot. I don't think my girls went thru that much feed. I had more spillage tho when I changed from the chick feeder to the hanging on the ground. But once I hung it that really lessened. 50 pounds a week... Wow.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A pound of feed should feed 5 juveniles per day. Thus, your feed expectation should be 10 days from a 50# bag, feeding 25 chicks. Your waste ratio is not horrendous, but likely there is some, given that you are consuming that 50# bag in 7 days.

More information about how you feed and the feeder type is needed to comment further.

4. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    It does sound a bit excessive, I have 18 at that same age and they aren't eatting any where near that amount. Are they out in some serious cold? Could be they are eating extra to help convert it into heat, but I think Nova is probably right, there is some waste going on. I'd suggest getting a bigger feeder, I have a long metal one on legs (nice and tall, like 6-8 inches) and I only fill it halfway. I have to fill it twice a day but I have noticed that they aren't spilling any more and bonus, they aren't kicking bedding and poo into it like they did with the old feeder.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    If it's not already hung, definitely hang the feeder. 7 weeks is probably too young for pellets, but my waste decreased dramatically when I switched the flock from crumbles to pellets. That could be something to consider for your larger flock and for when the young ones get a little older

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by