How much to feed ducks?

cluckers&quackers

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Vermont
Hi, is there a general guideline as to how much food one duck should be offered on average per day?

I have mostly larger ducks, mallards, rouens etc.

They all seem to be doing well, and I would like that to continue.

All of my ducks are together so I don't know how much grain one duck eats alone, and was just wondering how much grain everyone offers per duck. I just want to make sure I am not over/under feeding.

Thanks!!
smile.png

I let mine eat free choice. I feed them all purpose pellets or layer feed. Grain doesn't give them all they need nutritionally.

Now and then I get some mice in the duck house area where the feeders are and during that time I only feed what they will clean up in 20 minutes.
They are pretty much self regulating.

Hi, thanks so much!! I have been feeding layer pellets, and they are in a fenced in area that allows them access to the grass/bugs. I just wanted to make sure I don't over/under feed:) I wasn't sure if ducks will over eat, or if they are one of those animals that will only eat what they need:)

I agree, I also let mine eat free choice. My rouens free range during the day and get pellets in the barn at night. This also serves as an incentive to come in the barn at night.

I've got 3 mallard/domestic crosses, 7 week old and growing, growing, growing. I give them about 2 cups of feed, 5 times per day plus they eat clover,grass, bugs etc when out. Seems to be working so far.

I hope to cut this down to 2-3 cups, twice per day when they've grown.

Quote:
I've got three, one each blue swede, magpie & black cayuga, all about 27 weeks. I think they eat more now that they are grown and laying than they did when they were younger. They don't waste nearly as much as they did when they were younger though. Of course, they share a coop with the chickens and it could be the chickens eating more of their food instead of eating out of their own feeder.

I feed them out of a big, square tupperware bowl and I'd say I scoop about 4 cups in the morning into it and maybe another 4 in the afternoon.

When they reach about 17 weeks make sure you start offering oyster shell (if you have hens). We didn't start until they were already laying and found soft shelled eggs for about a week.

Good luck! I love my ducks. They are so much fun!

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

One of my girls is laying up to 3 soft shell eggs a day. It just started this week. I didn't realize that you could feed ducks oyster shell too. I haven't got any on hand right now, but I do have some egg shells to toast up for the chickens. I guess I will give it to the ducks.

my girls are 26 weeks old and have been laying for a month now. I knew one of my ducks was not feeling well, she would stay in the pool while the other two walked around the yard. We have SEEN her lay 2 soft eggs this week, and found 2 others. 3 were in one day... actually she laid a normal egg, and then 2 soft ones. She has laid one in the pool and one she laid sometime during the night, because she had egg yolk smeared all over her front this morning. Poor girl.

cluckers&quackers :

Hi, is there a general guideline as to how much food one duck should be offered on average per day?

I have mostly larger ducks, mallards, rouens etc.

They all seem to be doing well, and I would like that to continue.

All of my ducks are together so I don't know how much grain one duck eats alone, and was just wondering how much grain everyone offers per duck. I just want to make sure I am not over/under feeding.

Thanks!!
smile.png

For the larger breeds, you can't go wrong with 1/4 LB per bird for maintenance and 1/2lb per bird for breeding.​

Thanks everyone!! I pretty much let them eat what they seem to be wanting/needing and they have been doing well, I just wanted to double check and see what others do, I have found all of the answers to be very helpful.

Thanks again!!

i get 1 dozen beautiful eggs per day from my ducks. and the numbers will be increasing. i had one new layer start off with soft shell eggs so i save all my egg shells and every 3 days i blend them up with a little vitamin D milk and pour it in their feed. the soft shells disappeared immediately.

Back
Top Bottom