How much to feed market broilers?

ARTsignature

Chirping
Dec 7, 2021
I will be raising some market broilers this year for an FFA project, and this is my first time ever owning chickens. I have done extensive research but the one thing I can't seem to find is exactly how much to feed them. I will have six birds. Do I need to make it available to them 24/7? Also is it okay to ferment the feed for broilers? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

I will be raising some market broilers this year for an FFA project, and this is my first time ever owning chickens. I have done extensive research but the one thing I can't seem to find is exactly how much to feed them. I will have six birds. Do I need to make it available to them 24/7? Also is it okay to ferment the feed for broilers? Any suggestions are much appreciated!
ive never done market broilers but I am in 4h (broilers sound so fun btw!) I’m sure some people sell special broiler feed if it were me showing I would develop my own feed that consisted of corn oats and other goodies

And also the bag of feed may say how much to feed I can try to help you look some stuff up!

A quote off of the website “ A crumble formula, like Purina® Meat Bird Feed, is easier to eat and digest. On average, each bird will consume around 10 pounds of feed during the first 6 weeks. They will eat between 3 and 4 pounds of feed a week after 6 weeks. They may be small, but they are voracious eaters”

I feed my Cornish Rocks with full feeders of 20% protein until 3 weeks old; then feed 18% protein free access for 12 hours/day (removing the feeder for 12 hours). I’m not super controlling about it — sometimes I get home late & it’s more like 8 hours without. Before I started doing this (full feeder 24/7) I lost some to presumed heart problems from getting too fat too fast. It doesn’t reduce their harvest weight that I’ve noticed, and they stay on their feet longer. Good luck!

For the Cornish Cross meat birds try to use high protein feed. I use 24%. I've seen people use 30% and their birds do grow faster. I try to keep the feeders high enough so the birds need to stand up to eat and don't just sit there all day eating.

Back
Top Bottom