How much to feed my Cornish cross?

Maxx_a_mouse

Chirping
Apr 27, 2019
Hi! I feed my layers 1/4 a pound per chicken per day, but I have this one Cornish cross that I have no idea how much to feed, as he always seems hungry. He was supposed to be a laying hen, but the store gave me him instead . He’s about 20lbs and I’m currently feeding him 1.5lbs per day (6 chickens worth). Is that enough? Attached are some pictures of him. He looks mean but he’s a total sweetheart

3CD9BBFE-7D87-45E5-9080-666FB8FCFB07.png
1D974A1D-B16B-4153-B901-FB6D2294DF2B.png
C6DC9742-2341-4FDD-AFE2-4453208D8486.png
506816DD-F385-44E1-BDE6-61A902E024C2.png

You must be doing something right! He's still alive, a triumph.
I feed my flock free choice, Flock Raiser, which is an all-flock feed that's always fresh at my local feed stores, and with oyster shell on the side.
If you are in a warm climate, with more than snow available for them, that's great. If they need total feeding now, add more. Nearly nobody tries for long term survival for these guys, because that's not what they can do well, if at all. I'd recommend that you talk to a university poultry expert if possible.
Mary

You must be doing something right! He's still alive, a triumph.
I feed my flock free choice, Flock Raiser, which is an all-flock feed that's always fresh at my local feed stores, and with oyster shell on the side.
If you are in a warm climate, with more than snow available for them, that's great. If they need total feeding now, add more. Nearly nobody tries for long term survival for these guys, because that's not what they can do well, if at all. I'd recommend that you talk to a university poultry expert if possible.
Mary

hopefully I’m doing something right! He can do everything that all the other hens can do, which includes running, jumping at the food can, pulling water dishes out of my hand, climbing up the stairs to get the food that I’m eating, and of course, shaking sand out of his feathers into my eyes.

I’m feeding him later feed, as I was told after a certain age they can eat later feed with the ladies (he’s 8 months now, he’s been on what the ladies have been on since they all came). I’ve always limited feed for them, and he seems healthy that way, but he also gets tons of exercise chasing my dog:idunno
(He is 3lbs bigger then my dog mind you)

What I’ve said since I found out he was a Cornish cross is that if he even starts developing any type of health issue, he’s going to be served with broccoli (his original name was broccoli before it evolved to mr. Fat lol)

Back
Top Bottom