How much to feed? Please help!!!!!!!!!

Id had the same question and was told as long as there is a little food left the next day (not a whole lot) you are feeding enough. my hens scatter some of their food but are good about cleaning up their messes....
D.gif

If you are putting scratch in with the pellets, they are picking through the feed to find the scratch.  Don't put scratch with their regular feed!

X3

Also who knows what they eat every day,just fill the feeders . scratch is suposed to be in small amounts, I never give my girls scratch on a regular basis, that way they eat there food better. Food goes in a feeder, I would suggest to just fill it and hang it. Then it's harder to throw out of. And throw the scratch on the ground. Food before scratch, I do treats and scratch in the evening when it's about an hour or two before bed .

Last edited:
I guess I'm wondering why you don't just fill whatever feeder you have and leave them alone? Why limit their food, or try to figure out how much? Instead just leave a feeder where they have access all day. I'd nix the crazy amount of scratch too; proper ratio is supposed to be less than 10% of their intake for the day and you are giving 33% scratch! That will make them fat and could harm them. HTH!

I guess I'm wondering why you don't just fill whatever feeder you have and leave them alone? Why limit their food, or try to figure out how much? Instead just leave a feeder where they have access all day. I'd nix the crazy amount of scratch too; proper ratio is supposed to be less than 10% of their intake for the day and you are giving 33% scratch! That will make them fat and could harm them. HTH!
x2 yep feed them the proper diet and fill the feeder. Scratch is not full time, it's once in a while stuff. give them veggies, fruits and extra left overs to. But in moderation .

Back
Top Bottom