How much to feed them.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bmgjet, Dec 3, 2012.

1. bmgjet

bmgjet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Have 4 chicks under half a week old and want to know if im feeding them too much.
    I put half a cup of chick starter in there feeder on saturday when the first one hatched and thats almost gone and iv also been giving them a boiled egg thats been mushed up each day which they finish off in a few hours.

Should I cut back on the egg and stick to chick starter more?
    They just go nuts for the egg, One will grab a little bit then runs around while the others chase it trying to get the same bit until its eatten.
    Then a different chick does the same thing and its just a cycle until the whole lot is gone.

Water wise they are drinking 40-50ml per day.
    They have also grown quite a bit.

[​IMG]
    Contrast has been increased so you can see the black one.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Feed em as much starter and water as they can eat. They grow fast, eat lots, sleep lots, poop lots.

3. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    A good thing to find out how much they need is to see if they dont eat all you give them, give them less. If they do, give them more. [​IMG]

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I don't think the egg is a bad idea, actually. Chick starter is not actually neccesary to raise healthy chickens, although it's an easy enough option. When mine were chicks, I fed them a mixture of oats, water and a little bit of polenta.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I always keep feed and water in front of my brooder babies 24/7. They have a light on, so have an artificial environment anyway. They eat constantly and drink a lot.

6. JaxGrits

JaxGrits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    North Florida
    I am glad you asked this. I have 2 one week old Easter Eggers- my very first chicks! They were the same size last week (at day one and two) but they are starting to look much different- one is "tall and slender" while the other is "short and round". The short round one eats NONSTOP. Her crop is always full- like a grape on her chest. They both seem perfectly happy- eat, poop, chase each other around, sleep. I was afraid that I was feeding them too much because of how full her crop is but I've been reading as much as I can and it seems like a chicks crop will stay full most of the time. So, until I'm instructed otherwise, I will leave their chick feeder in there with an endless supply of food.

7. Barn Mama

Barn Mama Out Of The Brooder

Ah! they are so cute.....[​IMG]

8. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I spoiled my last chicks with eggs organic noodles n chopping grass n veggies for them.they are picky chickens now. egg are good protein just make sure they are still eating their starter.our new chicks are 3 weeks and they are eating starter, crickets n greens( not chopped i hold it and they peck like crazy lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by