How much to feed them.

bmgjet

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 1, 2012
Have 4 chicks under half a week old and want to know if im feeding them too much.
I put half a cup of chick starter in there feeder on saturday when the first one hatched and thats almost gone and iv also been giving them a boiled egg thats been mushed up each day which they finish off in a few hours.

Should I cut back on the egg and stick to chick starter more?
They just go nuts for the egg, One will grab a little bit then runs around while the others chase it trying to get the same bit until its eatten.
Then a different chick does the same thing and its just a cycle until the whole lot is gone.

Water wise they are drinking 40-50ml per day.
They have also grown quite a bit.

Contrast has been increased so you can see the black one.

A good thing to find out how much they need is to see if they dont eat all you give them, give them less. If they do, give them more.
celebrate.gif

I don't think the egg is a bad idea, actually. Chick starter is not actually neccesary to raise healthy chickens, although it's an easy enough option. When mine were chicks, I fed them a mixture of oats, water and a little bit of polenta.

I always keep feed and water in front of my brooder babies 24/7. They have a light on, so have an artificial environment anyway. They eat constantly and drink a lot.

I am glad you asked this. I have 2 one week old Easter Eggers- my very first chicks! They were the same size last week (at day one and two) but they are starting to look much different- one is "tall and slender" while the other is "short and round". The short round one eats NONSTOP. Her crop is always full- like a grape on her chest. They both seem perfectly happy- eat, poop, chase each other around, sleep. I was afraid that I was feeding them too much because of how full her crop is but I've been reading as much as I can and it seems like a chicks crop will stay full most of the time. So, until I'm instructed otherwise, I will leave their chick feeder in there with an endless supply of food.

I spoiled my last chicks with eggs organic noodles n chopping grass n veggies for them.they are picky chickens now. egg are good protein just make sure they are still eating their starter.our new chicks are 3 weeks and they are eating starter, crickets n greens( not chopped i hold it and they peck like crazy lol)

Back
Top Bottom