1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by VioletandBodie, Jul 15, 2011.

1. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    i have 6- 3 1/2 month old chickens they get to forege all day and are given lots of human scraps but we would like to know how much food should they get a day?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I would just experiment. Are you feeding them on the ground? If so, just toss down a couple handfuls of feed. If by the next day (or by the time you lock them in their coop at night) there is none left than you know you're not giving them too much. If there's some left over the next day toss out one less handful. [​IMG]

3. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Good to know...my lil flock make a feed mess on the ground and do not eat off the run floor.....hmmm I may not refill their feeder until they eat the stuff on the ground! lol

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    My birds have food available in a hanging feeder all day (layer pellets) and they eat what they want. They free range afternoons plus they get a daily treat and greens.

5. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Quote:x2

6. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    they get it via dish but it dose end up on the floor by the end and thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by