Okay, I have the ‘humane traps’ since I don’t want to use a vector trap and accidentally hurt a chicken. I have noticed that a stray cat has started to stay by at night, which is helpful, they seem to be helping as well. Thank you for your advice :)
We also had a mouse problem when we were hanging our feeders. The mice were coming into the run at sunset to eat all the spilled food from the ground. I tried a couple of humane traps and only caught one mouse. What worked for us was setting out old fashioned snap traps baited with peanut butter each night after the chickens went into the coop and then collecting the traps each morning before the chickens were let out of the coops. After we moved the feeders to the bowl during the days, we only had to set the traps for a week before the mice seemed to move elsewhere.

I have a feed ring where I only put their feed and that’s where they eat. But I just throw it on the ground inside the feed ring. I did have feeders before and they made a huge mess and wasted a whole bunch of feed.

I have 12, 8 month old chickens, 11 6 month old chicks/chickens, 8 1-2 month old chicks, 7 4-5 month old Cotournix Quail, and 6 5 ish month old Guinea Fowl.

So I don’t know what is recommended feed or how much weekly or monthly. I got 3 bags of feed like 2/3 ish weeks ago (7/17) and am now almost out. One of the hens is the mother of the 8 chicks.
Since I didn't see anyone give it yet, here is one way to partially estimate it:

An adult laying hen will often need 1/4 pound of feed each day.
So if you have 12 + 11 adult chickens, that makes 23, which would need very close to 6 pounds of feed every day. They would eat 50 pounds of food in about 10 days, all by themselves. They would eat 150 pounds of food (3 bags) in about 30 days. If you are buying feed in 40 pound bags instead of 50 pound bags, they will go through each bag even faster.

The estimate for an adult laying hen is based on one kind of hen. If you have roosters, or hens of different kinds or sizes, they might eat more or less than that estimate.

You also have chicks, quail, and guinea fowl. The guinea fowl probably eat just as much as chickens, while the chicks and the quail probably eat a bit less (each) than an adult chicken would. But that many of them is going to add up to quite a bit of food as well.

I would guess that not much feed is being wasted, and they probably do need as much feed as they are eating.

Hello, I have been concerned with feed lately since it feels like my Chickens, Chicks, Quail, and Guineas are eating it too fast or being messy with it. I mainly want to know how much feed they are supposed to eat (each poultry type) and how conserve it.
Unfortunately, I don't have any estimates for the other poultry types, but just estimating for the adult chickens makes it look like your birds probably do need that much feed, and are probably not wasting much of it.

Back
Top Bottom