How much value do you put on killed Laying Hen

Here's the formula I used, which contains two parts. First - the replacement COST of the hen. Figure $2-3 per chick. I don't count feed since if the hen had not been lost, I would have been feeding her anyway. But second is the loss of the eggs she would have produced during the 5 months it takes to raise a chick from hatched to laying. I sell my eggs for $2.75/doz. Depending on the hen, I figure on 3-6 eggs per week (I had a RSL who laid 7/wk for 9 months straight). Take the number of eggs you would have expected her to lay in the 5 months you are growing out a new chick, and divide by 12 (to turn them into dozens) and multiply that number by the amount you sell your eggs for.

Plus - I added in another factor. My hen was killed in November. Around here it is hard to get new chicks until early March. So I added on an additional 4 months of egg loss. By the time I added up the replacement cost plus 9 months of lost eggs from my RSL, I was up to around $72. Don't sell your girls short.

I just had nine 15 week pullets killed by the neighbors pack of dogs.
I had sold several the week before so I charged what I was selling them for. 8 for one, 12 for the JGs, polish and delaware. 20 for the Jaerhon.
It came out to 104 and she brought 140 to pay for shipping and I gave her 20 back.

Last edited:
You can easily get laying hens here for $10, but I think there's more to it. Were you selling them? I think $20 each would be fair, and I'm sure you would still rather have your hens back.

Last edited:
I'm paying $20 a bird for pullets. Nothing overly fancy, but they are not going to lay for 2 months after I get them. Personally I would tell him there isn't enough money in the world to replace *those* chickens, but you would accept $?? to buy chickens that you hope will become as dear to you as those chickens were. (In my area $25 for POL chickens is average)

Quote:
$8??? Week old Chicks at the feed store are $4 around here. (and many have advised that that isn't the best place to purchase chickens) I want you to get my chickens for me
wink.png

Wow! I wouldn't dream of paying more than $10 for a laying hen! Most hens that average around $7-10 each. At the Sale Barn they rund around $4-5 each. Chicks are around $1-$2 each.

I would ask around $15 to replace.

Back
Top Bottom