How much water do chickens drink?

cjstanman

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Just north of Raleigh
What made me ask is this. I've got a 1-gallon water thing for 4 hens. I fill it up twice a day. They are either a) drinking like there's no tomorrow, or b) bumping into it all day and spilling it. I can't tell all the time - sometimes there's a puddle, so I know they spilled it. Other times... it's just dry.

Either way, they're not dying of thirst, but it made me wonder. ?
big_smile.png

They are drinking that much. My 3 standards and 1 banty went through 3 gallons in 4 days. When my 2 chicks (BA & BO) grow up, we'll have to fill that waterer every other day.

When the 3 chicks coming in April go outside, we'll have to get a 2nd waterer, I'm sure.

Hmm... I haul a 1g container out every day for 18 chickens (2 being bantams) and it tops off the water bucket just fine. Sometimes there is extra.

now Id be tempted to say some is leaking or spilling. my one gallon waterer lasts my 6 chickens about a day and a half. If it is not even it will leak out because of the gravity fed spigot thing. I may give up my waterer all together and just keep the large bowl I have now that I was using in the winter.

For my flock I have to fill up 2 1 gallon's everyday and I just added a 3 gallon ( I think) at feed time today because there 1 gallons were all most all drank in 10 mins.

But I also water 60+ fowl

Last edited:
In the summer my 20 go through about 6 gallons. Fill up the three gallon waterer twice a day... 2nd time with ice in it.

O.k. so I am not losing my mind....I just got a 3 gallon waterer and my 11 ladies are attacking me when I arrive with refills. I had one fly straight up to my face and landing in the bucket I was carrying, and sucking it down as I carried her in the bucket.

I figured they had been spilling as well....but they really do drink...well, like fish!

Mine are only drinking about a quart a day for 3 chickens. It is still pretty cold here. I'm planning to get them a bigger waterer before summer. From this thread, it sounds like I should perhaps consider larger than the 1 gallon?

I notice that they often go for a drink directly after laying an egg.

Back
Top Bottom