how much would it cost me to get a electrican to run power to my coop

just want a couple outlets in the coop . i dont mess with that kind of stuff . hopefully the power bill wont go up to much i pay 200 a month now and its a 3 bedroom double wide . cant figure why its so high . have hot air furnace dont use much oil . have a hot water heater. and a oxygen concentrator with bipap to sleep at night. and just the regular household appliances. does this sound too high for power a month.

blueseal
just want a couple outlets in the coop . i dont mess with that kind of stuff . hopefully the power bill wont go up to much i pay 200 a month now and its a 3 bedroom double wide . cant figure why its so high . have hot air furnace dont use much oil . have a hot water heater. and a oxygen concentrator with bipap to sleep at night. and just the regular household appliances. does this sound too high for power a month.

I’m running electric out to my coop which is about 20 ft away from the barn/garage also ,I have been using a heavy extension cord
Also for 3 yrs now with out any problems , I have it plug into a ground fault 3 way breaker plug, I running off of it a 10 light stringer set of lights like they use in the construction with a few (3-4) of the water tins heaters and my / chicken radio, the coop is 12ft x 12ft .

Some of the lights I don’t use all the time and I been using as of now 3 bulbs - with 60 watts each and so far the temp in the coop is about 50-60*F while the out side temps has been around the 20*F as it gets colder I add more lights or up the wattage in bulbs as the temp drown down in the coop.

All as been good for the last 3 yrs ,only once or twice or so , it got down to 20*F to 10*F or so degrees in the coop but we have close to 0*F degrees outsides and the wind chill factor was like -20*F and all was good .

As for what you pay for electric ,I have a 1800 sq. ft. home - 3 bedroom -kitchen-dinning room-large living room and ½ of a finish basement , I run my coop,& garage lights ---a oil boiler, a hot water tank and I cook with electric and wash and dry ,water pump , and my highest electric bill is around $175 to $220 a month .

So as far as getting an electricians for now I would not -you can use the cord as long as it is heavy duty- come -spring time and you wanted to make it permit I would get some 3/4 " or 1" pvc grey pipe and some outside under ground burial electric wire and place in the PVC PIPE and dig a drench 18” deep and place a male end to wirer & plug it to the house and the coop end place a large elect box with 2 plugs so you will have 4 plugs outlet in the coop you’ll should be good

Alan​

Quote:
what are the additional fees on your electric bill and what do you pay per kilowatt hour?

'fees' on my bill = 13.77
Electric charges = 108.68

KWH= 983

charge/kwh = (108.68 / 983 = 0.1105595117 dollars per kwh
net /kwh = (108.68+13.77) / 983 = 0.12456765005 dollars per kwh

Quote:
Yikes! Give him the beer AFTER he finishes the work and make sure you are the first customer of the day!
gig.gif

Mary

yuckyuck.gif

DaKid nailed it. But you will not need special grade of underground wire if you put it into a plastic pipe. Buy the Class 200 pipe. A little lighter and cheaper, but good enough for a line to a chicken coop. Also put in a 3/4" schedule 40 pvc water line while the trench is open and bring it up inside of your house. Stop it short of the coop and cap it there. Put a plastic bucket over it so it can be dug up later if you want to add a yard hydrant at the coop. But then, if water is available on the same side of the house, that would be a waste of time and money. If not, then you will be glad you did.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom