How much...

DixieChickPa

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2016
Irwin, PA
How often do you feed chickens extra things like kitchen scraps or treats? I was told to stick to layer feed for my 6 month old rhode island reds and brown leg horns and only give a handful of meal worms every other day. They are in a coop, not free range. Should i also be throwing out 'scratch' every day to give them something to dig for?

I personally toss out a little scratch - like a handful - for my 2 dozen or so birds on a daily basis. Maybe a little more in cold weather. Just so it's a small snack as it is their layer ration that they really require.

If the diet your feeding is good...? Keep feeding the treats your giving...You could toss out some thawed out frozen veggies, Romain lettuce, cucumber..Mine in the fall love a whole pumpkin, I cut out a few holes to get at the flesh and it takes days for them to peck it clean..Corn on the cob...Purple Cabbage...Once a week they will be happy!

Last edited:
How often do you feed chickens extra things like kitchen scraps or treats? I was told to stick to layer feed for my 6 month old rhode island reds and brown leg horns and only give a handful of meal worms every other day. They are in a coop, not free range. Should i also be throwing out 'scratch' every day to give them something to dig for?

As long as treats aren't a major part of their diet they will be fine. Layer ration is designed for hens age 6 months or older, that are actively or about to begin laying. It is usually very high in calcium, so isn't good for rosters or younger chickens, as it can be hard on their kidneys. Supplementing layer ration with scratch grains is fine. If you are trying to hatch the eggs, never give layer ration. Keep the hens on starter grower and scratch grains.

Fresh veggies and fruits are allways always a plus!!! As long as its Healty kitchen scraps you really can't over do it, unless it's the same foods day after day, a good variety is a plus for them.

Back
Top Bottom