How Much?

Since they are not meat birds- they will not overeat. Therefore, they should have food available at all times. I have a standard feeder-open at the top, with the dish around the bottom, hanging up. I just fill it and let them have it. When it is getting low, I add more. I have 24 chickens, so obviously, you will not need as much feed as I do...If you want them to lay eggs consistently, you will want to make sure they have food and water available.

I've found that the weather makes a lot of difference in how much a chicken will eat. Cold weather means a lot more feed is required.

Since that's a Texas flag (right
wink.png
), I imagine that we aren't talking about sub-zero Winter weather. During the heat of Summer and especially if they are allowed to forage, feed costs aren't going to amount to much for 4 to 6 hens. Probably one-third pound each of good feed would be a fairly good rule-of-thumb for dual purpose hens.

Chickens can find quite a bit of food foraging around the backyard. Mostly, it depends on the season and how much area they have - still, as much as 30% of their diet can come from the lawn
smile.png
, according to the pastured poultry folks.

Steve's digits

I had not thought about what they will be able to get on their own and just keeping the feeder full will be much easier than feeding every day. digitS', you are correct, that is a Texas flag and no worries here about cold weather. As a matter of fact I already need to mow the yard for the first time this year.

My three hens go through about a quart (mason jar) of layer crumbles a day. Some of it is waisted though, kicked around. And they are currently getting no free range.

Back
Top Bottom