How necessary is a dust bath in winter?

Lol! No cannulas required, but anything that stays in the lungs,can't be expelled and forms cysts bears some modicum of caution in my world. Else I would still be happily smoking!
Does this malady have a name? You don't suppose all the exhaust we breathe is "bad" for us. What about all the people who are diagnosed with lung cancer who've never smoked. Or the 95 year old guy who's still smoking up a storm. Nary a lung cancer cell in sight? Just wondering.

Look,you just need to study up on diatomaceous earth. You decide what you want in your lungs and I will decide what I want in mine. Have a nice nite..ok?
I shall. I've "studied up" on it. Already. Could it be that some people have genes causing cancer wouldn't make a difference what they are breathing. Like everything else I wouldn't fling it around any more than I would powdered milk.

Well water and food are necessary and everything else is optional. However my hens get so excited when I freshen up the dust bathtub with new dirt it's just a joy to watch.

run-06.jpg

JT

LOL sulfur is a basic element :old
I add 1 lb of elemental sulfur to 9 -10 lbs of dirt, which could be from the garden... they kick it out in the bedding and it THEN goes back in the garden with the bedding
This actually could be a good idea for people who live in areas where their soil is alkaline. Sulfur increases the acidity of the soil, so if using for the garden, this could be a smart idea if you have alkaline soil. If you have acidic soil though, this may cause you to have trouble getting anything to grow.
That’s very interesting though about sulfur in the dust boxes. I’ve never heard that before. I’ll have to look into that more and possibly try it out! Have you or has anyone tried it out and have some thoughts about its effectiveness?

No matter what time of year, I'm gonna find the telltale holes somewhere that the ladies have had themselves a dust bash.

I can definitely testify to this:
If they want to, they'll make a way- even if they're penned and their usual spa is out of commission. :lol:

This actually could be a good idea for people who live in areas where their soil is alkaline. Sulfur increases the acidity of the soil, so if using for the garden, this could be a smart idea if you have alkaline soil. If you have acidic soil though, this may cause you to have trouble getting anything to grow.
That’s very interesting though about sulfur in the dust boxes. I’ve never heard that before. I’ll have to look into that more and possibly try it out! Have you or has anyone tried it out and have some thoughts about its effectiveness?
works for mine
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-vs-diatomaceous-earth-or-kaolin-clay.671253/

I like it! Simple and functional.
Too many people put form over function these days. Artful and pretty is ok but only if it fulfills is intended purpose. If it doesn't do the intended job, no matter how pretty, it ain't worth the powder to send it where it belongs!

Back
Top Bottom