1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how noisy are guineas?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by midwife mama, Mar 6, 2009.

1. midwife mama

midwife mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    montana
    Do they keep you up all night, if they are close to the house? Do they make alert calls at every little thing? We visited a neighbor recently who had guineas, and I thought they were just the coolest birds, but they made a heck of a lot of noise--in large part I am sure because we were there on their turf.I'm curious to hear from others how noisy they are. We only have about an acre here, so they would likely be close by much of the time.

2. rkhyland

rkhyland Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2008
    South Dakota
    The answer is...depends.[​IMG]

I have them and my hubby did not want them as grandpa had tehm when he was a kid and they roosted in the trees and were loud!

We coop trained ours and I find they loudest at sundown but if coop trained they are heading in anyway. They squawk when something is just not right around the place or someone who doessn't belong there is wandering around. They get excited at feeding time (mine are cooped with the hens for winter and are fed with them. Most of the year they fend for themselves and do not even eat feed!)

But, they eat tons of bugs, are good watchdogs (mine have run off adult male deer) and very entertaining to watch! What's not to love?

3. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    They also tend to get quieter as they age. That first year they are loud - everything is new and scary. I never hear my at night, unless there is something wrong in the coop. They are alerted us when we had a mink in the yard and probably saved a lot of chickens! They eat tons of ticks and japanese beetles.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    How noisy? How large is the Atlantic ocean? How tall is giraffe compared to an ant? [​IMG]

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I heard the neighbors the other night at around 2 am, they were cooped up but i could still hear them plain as day (i was outside). It's too much racket for me to own them but the neighbor is about an acre away and theres trees and 2 hills to baffle the noise so it's not TOO too bad. I've learned to tone them out....they dont care where their property line is though they come in our yard all the time and they beter watch it next time...LOL

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    simply put, VERY.very very very , DID i SAY veRY Loud

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yes Guineas are looooooooooud .

Unfortunately that's why my wife will not let me to keep them.

8. midwife mama

midwife mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    montana
    Oh, I was afraid of this! I'd really love to have them, but our property is not very large, and I am afraid they'd be running by the house all day squawking (or however you call their noisesmaking:)) driving everyone mad!

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Guineas are just plumb obnoxious...

10. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    I have one that came with batch of pullets. It is loud but works very well as a precursor to the dogs.At the gunies yell the dogs go on full alert. Then they tell me how much involvement I need. You get to the point where you can tell what the different tones to the yell mean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by