How noisy are Welsh Harlequins compared to geese?

I have never had geese but have heard the ones at the park and they are LOUD.. My Welsh Harlequin doesn't sound that loud to me.. She has a lower quack. kind of like a laugh.. Now when she gets upset its a little louder.. but she doesn't quack that often.. My rescue Judy a pekin is a loud mouth!!!! but she has settled in and isn't as loud as she was.. she would quack her head off when she got seperated from stanley and daisy.. She's learned to follow them around now etc and doesn't get seperated very often..

My harlequins don't say much. They chatter a little bit but the pekins and swedes are definitely the loud mouths in my flock. Oh, and my two black east indie hens. Those little ladies have some pipes. >.> If you got four ducks, I would still go with 1 drake and 3 hens. Healthier for everybody. I have four drakes in my flock of 29 and that's a bit much. At least one of them is headed for the stewpot shortly.

It depends on what sort of geese you're comparing them to. I have Pilgrims, and they're pretty quiet, except when a car drives up. I also had a chinese goose, and he honked ALL NIGHT LONG! And at a high volume at that! The loudest ducks I've ever had is (hands down) my jumbo pekins, with my mallars being a close second (but only in the morning). Cayugas were the quietest, and my runners are fairly quiet too.

Thanks all, I really appreciate your help. ounds like they are awesome ducks. Looks like we will go with a quad with 1 boy. I am going to order from metzer if I can't get eggs, my parents want some for their ranch too so I won't have to worry about meeting the min or getting stuck with too many.

I have 2 metzer ducks (had 3...a hawk got one). They are about 2 years old now. Very healthy. Not exactly breed standard on coloring, but if you aren't showing them, and sell offspring as pet quality, you should be fine with them. They are excellent layers and one of them (Shelley) is wicked smart. I am using Shelley for breeding and have one of her daughters now too. The daughter is not as sharp as mom, but is really pretty and still pretty on the ball....for a duck
big_smile.png

I was lucky and got a hold of a Holderread's drake. He made very pretty babies. Since he fathered so many, I have a McMurray drake now purchased from someone else local with a small flock of WH. He is a handsome boy too.

Something to keep in mind for the future and if you keep offspring. You will need to find someone to swap drakes with or order a new handsome stud-muffin from Holderread's directly.

I don't have WH, but I do have geese and other ducks and I'm having a hard time imagining any duck being louder than geese.
hmm.png

My female Rouens have a "loud" quack when they go off, but I don't hear it in the house. The geese on the other hand... not only do I hear them, there are times I go out to see what all the ruckus is about. Usually, it's "nothing".
roll.png

Quote:
Thanks, good to know Metzer coloring isn't standard, may change plans then. Holderreads elite lines ducklings are very tempting, maybe next year we will order some I just hate waiting.

Holderread's ducks are pretty awesome. My drake was gorgeous. My hen is pretty darn cute too. She is a gold. The drake was a silver.

I had a group of welshies and they were soooooo loud.. I could hear them at the end of my 1/2 mile road. they were obnoxious, and not just first thing in the morning.. several times through the day they were deafening. I never knew ducks COULD be that loud. I had to rehome them all because they were awful. Beautiful.. but awful.

Back
Top Bottom