How nutritious is chicken poop for my dog?

IMG_20180606_172443.jpg

So far no ill effects

I'm having the same problem over here!! So, I didn't think my Chihuahua ate chicken poop. Never noticed him eating it before, but the dumb dog eats his own poo if given the opportunity so I wouldn't be surprised if I caught him in the act (he's a former mill dog, aka 'damaged goods' as we kindly put it). Well, the other day I was outside with my husband putting together a storage bin in the backyard and noticed that a few piles of fresh poop were suspiciously missing. We checked our shoes, and nothing. Then we realized that the dog must have eaten it when we weren't looking (he's sneaky). And now, for the last 3 or 4 days, he's had an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. So I am thinking that all this poop eating is making him sick. He's only 6 pounds, and is probably gorging himself outside... anyone have any luck with the cayenne pepper?? I love my girls too much to not let them free range. But I also don't want my dog waking me up in the middle of the night puking up poo anymore :he :mad:

I'm having the same problem over here!! So, I didn't think my Chihuahua ate chicken poop. Never noticed him eating it before, but the dumb dog eats his own poo if given the opportunity so I wouldn't be surprised if I caught him in the act (he's a former mill dog, aka 'damaged goods' as we kindly put it). Well, the other day I was outside with my husband putting together a storage bin in the backyard and noticed that a few piles of fresh poop were suspiciously missing. We checked our shoes, and nothing. Then we realized that the dog must have eaten it when we weren't looking (he's sneaky). And now, for the last 3 or 4 days, he's had an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. So I am thinking that all this poop eating is making him sick. He's only 6 pounds, and is probably gorging himself outside... anyone have any luck with the cayenne pepper?? I love my girls too much to not let them free range. But I also don't want my dog waking me up in the middle of the night puking up poo anymore :he :mad:
Have a shaker of cayenne handy and sprinkle over gumdrops you find outside, rather than picking them up. (immediately) When Fido decides to snack out, he may make these meals his last choice. I know that peeps do give hot peppers to chickens. The chickens are not affected by the hot seasonings. Not sure if the peppers are digested totally to make the gumdrops also mild flavored.

Have a shaker of cayenne handy and sprinkle over gumdrops you find outside, rather than picking them up. (immediately) When Fido decides to snack out, he may make these meals his last choice. I know that peeps do give hot peppers to chickens. The chickens are not affected by the hot seasonings. Not sure if the peppers are digested totally to make the gumdrops also mild flavored.

That's a good idea. I'll try that before anything. He was sick again last night, so I believe he is now eating chicken poop instead of dog food.

My three dogs are all rescues; a Yorkie, a Boxer and a Boston. They all happily share the yard-never an issue there. But the dogs eat my hen’s layer feed, scratch and any treats meant for the chickens. And, they also eat chicken poo . They’re survivors!

Not sure if goose poo is the same as chicken poo but I had a yorkie die from eating that crap. The vet did an autopsy and said that its caused a bacteria infection or somthing( i can't remember) that basically destroyed her insides. it was horrible. It was also very upsetting because I had taken her to the vet because I noticed some thing was wrong and they said she would be fine and then she was dead 14 hours later.
sorry to be a downer but thats just me experience the a dog eating bird poo.
Like I said maybe chicken poo is not as bad but I don't take that chance any more

Things that live in chicken feces (coccidia, Salmonella and e. coli to name a few) can be spread to dogs and humans. Many intestinal parasites are zoonotic with fecal to oral contamination.
I'd recommend curbing the poo eating. And no mouth kisses for poochem.

Back
Top Bottom