How often do baby chicks sleep?

NWchickenLuv

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Bellingham WA
I have 7 chicks, they eat, scratch around, drink then sleep. It seems one of my barred rocks sleeps more than the others, she is active but seems to be the first one to fall asleep, then the others join, she is the last to wake up too. Is it normal for them to nap through out the day?

Thanks!!
idunno.gif

Maybe i'm just being a little to over protective/worried.

Mine eat, drink, peep, poop and sleep all day long. I was suprised at how much they slept also. I guess like any baby, if they have a full tummy and clean diaper. They sleep and grow!

Same with mine. Eat, drink and lots of poop. When they were young at times they looked dead all spread out. As they get older, they start to scratch around more and if you provide a little roost, they will play on that.

Mine are now 3 weeks and some of the slower to grow chicks still hang out under the heat lamps and sleep more.

Enjoy your little chicks - they grow so fast.

Thanks!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

They are so cute right now, I love it when they spread their little necks out when they sleep on the ground. My BF is going to make a small roost for them this weekend.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I though one of my BO's was going to a sickly bird because she slept soooo much more than the other chicks. A year later she's the biggest BO out there and still naps way more than the other birds. She's my best layer.

I thought I was having issues too when they sprawled out to sleep but by reading what you guys said above its normal, whee! The fun is just beginning!!

Back
Top Bottom