How often do chickens molt?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Is it once a year? 2 times? My flock is about 25 weeks and Im wondering when I can expect their first molt? I know they wont molt in the winter ( im guessing ) but will they in the spring? How long does it take the average bird to re grow feathers?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They usually molt once a year, in autumn. Of course, some crazy birds molt in winter, and some molt after going broody, too. It really depends on just how weird your chickens are. [​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The average bird will molt once a year in late Summer or Fall.

The not so average bird can molt anytime they want and some can molt multiple times a year. I have several of these. Maggie is a standard Ameraucana and in her 2nd molt this year. Puff, a bantam cochin X, also molted twice. A white Easter Egger evidently like her new tail feathers and remolted them about 2 weeks ago. There are others, but this is should show that not all birds are "average".

Oh, Last year I had a Barred Rock that did a complete HEAVY molt in the dead of Winter. She was almost completely naked except for the new pins. She got to sleep in a nest over stuffed with hay instead of on a perch.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by