How often do chickens molt?

Wendy'sChicksRock

Songster
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Oakland county ,MI
Is it once a year? 2 times? My flock is about 25 weeks and Im wondering when I can expect their first molt? I know they wont molt in the winter ( im guessing ) but will they in the spring? How long does it take the average bird to re grow feathers?

They usually molt once a year, in autumn. Of course, some crazy birds molt in winter, and some molt after going broody, too. It really depends on just how weird your chickens are.
lol.png

The average bird will molt once a year in late Summer or Fall.

The not so average bird can molt anytime they want and some can molt multiple times a year. I have several of these. Maggie is a standard Ameraucana and in her 2nd molt this year. Puff, a bantam cochin X, also molted twice. A white Easter Egger evidently like her new tail feathers and remolted them about 2 weeks ago. There are others, but this is should show that not all birds are "average".

Oh, Last year I had a Barred Rock that did a complete HEAVY molt in the dead of Winter. She was almost completely naked except for the new pins. She got to sleep in a nest over stuffed with hay instead of on a perch.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom