How often do chicks actually hatch on day 21?

My one and only hatch, by a broody, was exactly 21 days and they hatched within an hour of each other.

Chicks under a broody... almost always on day 21.

In my incubators...as early as day 19 as late as day 23.

I have had 1 pip at 19 and hatch on 20, none over 21 this fall I am on my 4th hatch, all have piped on 20 and hatched on 21 . I incubate in 2 dedicated incubators and hacth in a GQF hatcher. Last spring I did the home made foam cooler bators with water heater thermostat and had bad luck. The themostat just is to undependable. 1 spike and you are done .all shipped eggs, except 1 pick up, This fall all eggs from the ones that I did hatch. I have hatched 100 percent of the fertille eggs that I set. these are welsummer and Black copper , blue copper and splash Marans.I have some shipped eggs in right now, 1 group all clear, other group most are developing. all the eggs from my chickens with them are developing. I have not had a shrink wrap, or drowned or any other malady that I had with shipped eggs. I am convinced that the nutrition of the hens has about 75 percent to do with the hatch, and the rest is the incubation process. You need a steady incubator.

Hi! Most of my hatches start early Day 20 and are finished by early Day 21. I had a generation of Silkies that almost all hatched Day 19 (in incubator or under broody hens).
The few times a hatch here has dragged over into Day 22, I've seen problems with twisted legs / feet in those late chicks.
smile.png

Lisa

Most of the time they hatch on day 21, although I've had some hatch out on the 22nd and 23rd day. As for bantams, I've always had thm hatch on the 20th day. Nothing like a hen for an incubator.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom