how often do ducks lay egg?

duck15

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Philippines Makati
my pekin duck layed an egg today for the first time how often will it lay? like everyday?once a week?
should i get the egg because she doesnt seem to care for it(she wonders very far) and it might rain or something?
how many eggs does she need to lay to be broody?

My ducks lay 1 egg per day, everyday. I think there was only one month in which they didn't lay any eggs. Ducks don't normally sit on their nest of eggs till they have a full clutch(which is approx. 12-15 eggs). One of my girls started laying not to long ago and after there was about 7 or 8 eggs i gathered them. There's more eggs I need to remove again, I have noticed that sometimes they will sit on the eggs for a while even though there's not a full clutch, but not long enough as if they were broody. ~Julie~

My Pekin lays an egg per day. She stops laying in cold winter months, but started laying again this year in February. I have always just collected the egg daily.
I finally adopted a drake, and since they seemed so "compatible" I left the eggs to see what she would do. At 15 eggs, she started sitting and is a very protective broody hen. She is at day 10 sitting. She rolled one egg out of the nest, so I removed it. She leaves the nest for a short swim and grass eating, usually every evening. Her pal is penned up with her at night, and acts like the daddy of a pregnant wife! (Actually, he sometimes looks confused, like the daddy of a pregnant wife. Lol)

Mine just started mating a couple months ago and laying this past month... And lay eggs every night... Don't some breeds lay year round.... This was the first to hatch so far.

I have a pekin that lays every day except when she molts. She is 3 years old and started laying at about 6 months. She hid her neat once so well I couldn't find it or her after she went broody. 24 eggs were in there and I didn't have a drake then... She's a crazy girl when she's on her nest. Anyway, she's an egg a day every day. I have a rouen I get 5 or 6 eggs a week out of. My girl Fred (we recently lost her tragically) was a pekin who layed every day until her molt and then would quit until the temps came back up. This year she started laying again in late January. She wanted to go broody, but never really took to it like Sketchy does.

My pekin lays daily and a couple days a week gives me two. She started.laying when we wentt camping. Came home the next day to feed them. Went back one more night and came home to four total. She didnt stop over the winter. It was fun finding eggs in the snow

How do you find white eggs in the snow? Fallow the giant duck prints and look for a round melted spot with an egg in the middle.

You forgot the most important part....cursing under your breath while slogging through the white crap

Lol, no, I do that in the spring when I have to climb over a barbwire fence and go 15 feet through weeds taller than I am to find the nest she moved (again) because she is the houdini of ducks and can break out of anything. Snow is cake for me. But I do love that silly girl.

I live in Montana and it is already getting pretty cold/dark. Does anyone have any experience with laying ducks in a similar climate? How long should I expect her to lay this winter?

I adopted my 2 Welch Harlequin hens a few weeks ago and have gotten an egg a day from each every morning until this morning when I only found one. However, I noticed little Peach nestled in a bush thus evening while Bob & Daisy were playing in the pond. After I put them away for the night I checked the bush and found 2 eggs!

Back
Top Bottom