How often do I clean my coop and what should I lay down?

I have poop boards under my roosts so I scoop those out daily and rake my run out weekly. I really don't have poo in the coop cuz they aren't in there except to lay and sleep. There are a lot of different ways to manage your coop and run. @3KillerBs wrote a great article on the various options. I don't like poo to build up so I opt to clean more than some, but it will totally be up to you and your personal preferences 👍😉

Thank you for mentioning my article.

Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Newbie here, we got our coop and we are expanding it currently right now it is 4x9 and in the end it’ll 4x13 ft. My question is, how often with 5 chickens should I clean my coop? And lastly, right now it’s in the ground/grass should I lay anything down on the ground for poop and stuff? I attached pictures for everyone’s input but please my coop is NOT finished yet lol So any other helpful tips and tricks are appreciated!
Depends on the setup.. You have grass, i.e. soon to be dirt.. Toss down a layer of pine chips.. Generally I'll toss down some peat first directly on the soil.. cuts down on formation of ammonia, and build layers as need be to cover the old with the new.. but wet is wet.. Keep it dry. Rain runoff in the coop flooring.. yada, yada. Eventually, a shovel, rake and wheelbarrow may be necessary.. Good ventilation is a must, as in any enclosed environment. Fumes and odors build up.. If you can't stand walking in there because of the ammonia smell.. Imagine living in there 24/7. Clean it up..

Okay so again still new, is the coop part where the bedding and nesting boxes go? And the run is obviously where they run around and such? The reason I ask is because my chickens, and if the above questions are yes, I don’t see them using the coop unless I put them in there at night. That’s why I threw down some shavings on the run because the keep cuddling and going to sleep down there. So than I was worried about them sleeping in basically their poop ya know?
I call the henhouse the little building where you put them to sleep at night, and shit the door. There should be a roasting bar in the henhouse for them to sleep on btw!
The run is the fenced area underneath the henhouse part. :)

Thank uo
I call the henhouse the little building where you put them to sleep at night, and shit the door. There should be a roasting bar in the henhouse for them to sleep on btw!
The run is the fenced area underneath the henhouse part.
Thank you!!! Lol I felt so silly asking that but I had no idea! Every night since I’m night school student I’m just gonna head out to the chicken area and check on them and put them in their coop if they aren’t there already. And I’ll definitely install a bar for them!

Depends on the setup.. You have grass, i.e. soon to be dirt.. Toss down a layer of pine chips.. Generally I'll toss down some peat first directly on the soil.. cuts down on formation of ammonia, and build layers as need be to cover the old with the new.. but wet is wet.. Keep it dry. Rain runoff in the coop flooring.. yada, yada. Eventually, a shovel, rake and wheelbarrow may be necessary.. Good ventilation is a must, as in any enclosed environment. Fumes and odors build up.. If you can't stand walking in there because of the ammonia smell.. Imagine living in there 24/7. Clean it up..
Awesome that’s so helpful! I did buy a new rake and we already have a wheelbarrow for help with cleanliness. As well as, I’m making sure I can access the coop from any angle I may need as we make enhancements. As for ventilation, I feel that we have good ventilation but I was curious is I actually might have too much... idk if that makes sense but I’ll attach a picture. Basically I made sure they can get out the wind if it’s windy but I feel that the opening MAY be to big. I do have a nice rain run off on both my roof and flooring of my coop. I was very thankful my friend mentioned it actually! What is peat though? Can you get it at feed stores?

Attachments

• F1DDBE2D-C796-421B-8780-18407893A4CE.jpeg
    F1DDBE2D-C796-421B-8780-18407893A4CE.jpeg
    930.4 KB · Views: 7
I have poop boards under my roosts so I scoop those out daily and rake my run out weekly. I really don't have poo in the coop cuz they aren't in there except to lay and sleep. There are a lot of different ways to manage your coop and run. @3KillerBs wrote a great article on the various options. I don't like poo to build up so I opt to clean more than some, but it will totally be up to you and your personal preferences 👍😉
Honestly I think you just gave me my answer. I definitely am more of a cleaner than anything else I think I’ll look into the poop boards as a new way to go about this. I love the access I have to the coop and so it wouldn’t be difficult to get something like that set up at all.

As for ventilation, I feel that we have good ventilation but I was curious is I actually might have too much... idk if that makes sense but I’ll attach a picture.

It is nearly impossible to have too much ventilation -- short of giving your chickens no shelter at all from storms and winter winds. ;)

The usual guideline is to have 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen -- the pop door that's closed at night and any windows that are closed in the winter don't count.

This ventilation is, ideally, located above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost. :)

Awesome that’s so helpful! I did buy a new rake and we already have a wheelbarrow for help with cleanliness. As well as, I’m making sure I can access the coop from any angle I may need as we make enhancements. As for ventilation, I feel that we have good ventilation but I was curious is I actually might have too much... idk if that makes sense but I’ll attach a picture. Basically I made sure they can get out the wind if it’s windy but I feel that the opening MAY be to big. I do have a nice rain run off on both my roof and flooring of my coop. I was very thankful my friend mentioned it actually! What is peat though? Can you get it at feed stores?
Really no such thing as too much ventilation.. You could use a screened in porch as long as it is out of the wind.. I batten em' up a bit in winter.. -12 to -20 not unusual.. and once -45 to -50. Wind mostly the issue.. Chickens did fine, but had a fine brick coop, straw and nest boxes in an old shed. I open up the coop when the day temps are at least 40's on average.. If it get's below freezing at night, does not seem to be a problem. Keeping that bedding dry helps you and them.. May isn't too early and may be a little late.. Relax.. Peat is peat moss, Canadian Peat Moss to be exact.. 40 - 50 LBS bag. Suspect any would do.. even out of your neighboring swamp, if it is dry. I just dump it in the middle of the coop and let the chickens level it, they do a fine job. Better than you or me and a rake. Then dump some pine (not Cedar) on top the next day and repeat.. as it gets dirty. Yes I get it at the farm (feed) store, but has to be in season. As in gardening season.. or they don't have it. So stock up if you use it.. It works for me.. Less work, means more work prepping or fixing stuff that I broke.. and break more than I fix. Must be old age.. my son had to fix my car after I broke 1 out of three parts.. and I used to be so good. Dang..

Honestly I think you just gave me my answer. I definitely am more of a cleaner than anything else I think I’ll look into the poop boards as a new way to go about this. I love the access I have to the coop and so it wouldn’t be difficult to get something like that set up at all.
This is my poop board. Plywood and 1x2's, with a 2x3 for the roost. Easy breezy cleaning

Attachments

• 20210313_121806.jpg
    20210313_121806.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom