How often do peacocks display

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
How often? When? And why?

And do they display even with little trains..or only after their train is 2 years old?

Another words do..yearlings display with their itty bit ties

Last edited:
From my experience peafowl display starting at just weeks old. males and females both display around the year (not often but they do from time to time) but mainly display abruptly during breeding season where displaying is use for courtship with the peahen. they will display with a train or without a train @ndy

Yep it doesn't matter how old they are or if it is a peahen or a peacock they can and will display. Even if the peacock doesn't have a long colorful train and he is just a yearling he will display and not only that but he will act like he is hot stuff.
tongue.png
My peahens mainly display for 2 reasons...1. Sometimes they just feel like displaying like if a peacock is displaying they might want to show off too. 2. If they see danger or something they want to scare off they will display to make themselves look bigger and scare whatever it is be it a dog or a squirrel.

From watching my adult peacock, he displays most around breeding season (of course) and after he sheds his train he doesn't display for a month or so (anyways he has barely anything to display) then when his train is about halfway grown out he starts displaying and from there he displays more and more. He also prefers to display early and late in the day, not so much in the heat of the day that is when he is lying around.

Peacocks display to attract peahens. They shake their feathers and turn. Each peacock has his own way of showing off, some do it better than others. Then the peahen will walk near him, pretending not to notice him. She is really checking out his display. Peahens have different tastes probably but they look for a healthy peacock. Are his feathers of nicer color and quality? Is his train big? Does he have a lot of eye feathers? These are probably some of the things peahens might look for that signal that he is healthy. Peahens will look at several peacocks probably before deciding which one they will mate with. Of course in a pen with just one peacock the peahens can't have a selection but the peacocks will still display to get the peahen's attention.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank u so much..my real question should have been, do they display 10 times a day, once a week etc

I just didn't have any clue how often..and since iam getting a boy and girl..I can only assume he will display because of her

So awesome

My fear..getting a peacock that never displays, but then that can't possibly happen right..since nature is nature

Wink wink

Thanks again

Ha don't worry at all about that. Any peacock will display, but some will display better than others.
wink.png

I think it really depends on the peacock when it comes to how much they display or even the setting. I know that whenever I visit this one peafowl breeder his peacocks are almost always displaying. I think that is because there are so many males that they are displaying more to compete with the other peacocks to get more peahens were as a lone peacock without and competition probably gets to be more relaxed about when he displays or not without pressure from other males. It also can depend on weather. Chances are if it is raining for a week or it is very windy, you won't be seeing much displaying.

I think a chemical or pheromone might regulate when they display because my male always seem to be displaying at exactly the same time even though they cannot see each other. So I thought that there is something in the air that makes them want to display.

Back
Top Bottom