How often do pullets lay an egg once they finaly start????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AliciaM, Aug 9, 2010.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    We have a few EE pullets that are getting ready to lay.. At least I hope they are.. they are about 15 or so weeks old..
    Anyway... last week, we got 1 pretty blue egg in the nest box.. and have gotten none since then..
    We have NO adult laying EE hens so all our eggs from the adults are brown or white.. and dark chocolate..

So, my question.. Is it normal for them to lay one egg then have a break? Or, once they start they keep going?? I should have taken a picture of it.. it was sooo pretty....LOL.. so pretty, I ordered 5 more EE pullets from Ideal today...(and 10 others)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    I just went though this with my first layer. She laid two in a row and then stopped for three days. Then started again. From the comments people told me, it's very normal. She should start again soon. But apparently they can go on and off like that for a bit, my girl took a few days of last week as well.

3. erin76

erin76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Battle Ground, WA
    I have and 18week old sex-link that started 2 1/2 weeks ago...laid 1 then none for 2 days, has laid every day since until today.....

4. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I would make sure she has not found a more suitable ( in her mind, at least) nest box.

5. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    We have looked all over and no more blue eggs.. They dont free range, but have a large pen and we check there little shady areas often for eggs....Maybe she will start again.. who ever she happens to be... LOL..

6. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have three EEs (21 weeks) that started laying last week. I have one who lays every day and the other two lay two and then take a day off. My fourth EE and my 2 Gold Lace Wynadottes are 22 weeks and are still not laying though they seem to be readying. Someday they'll stop freeloading! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by