How often do Silkies go broody?

Simimaus

Songster
Jan 3, 2020
Prairie Grove
My buff Silkie girl is a little over a year old. The first time she went broody was 2 weeks before Christmas. She hatched out her eggs and raised her babies. Then she went broody again the week of April 1st. I gave her some Easter Egger eggs. She just raised 5 beautiful chicks. Tomorrow they will be 10weeks old. This evening when I locked them all up, I found her sitting in a nest box again. Right beside the nest box of my broody australorp. I got some of her eggs saved, but I took her out of nest box to get evening snack with the flock. Hoping she won’t get back into nest box. If she does, she’s on a 3-4 month schedule. Is that normal?

is that healthy???

Amazingly, most Silkies seem built for it.

I do put my brooding Silkies in their own broody pen and hutch where they are treated like the royalty they are.

Be sure to dust them during the brooding process (without interfering with lock down days) as they won't be able to dust bathe as often as most hens. (I also used Ivermectin to help keep mites down as well as internal worms).

Chick feed is high in nutrients, but low in calcium. Keep oyster shell station out for when they need to rebuild their stores.

I also put out chick electorlytes in the water to give them nutrient boosts during their brooding days.

My Silkies would molt in between clutches, which helps them rebuild their body stores. Using the chick feed during that time is excellent too as it is higher in protein and nutrients.

Spoil them with fresh hard boiled egg treats, some cottage cheese.

These should be considered career gals and treated as such. They are valuable livestock.

And generally they will go through a string of clutches, maybe 3, then slow down in the winter, which I totally encourage and give them continued support and care.

My brooding Silkies are Queens of my flock.

LofMc

Amazingly, most Silkies seem built for it.

I do put my brooding Silkies in their own broody pen and hutch where they are treated like the royalty they are.

Be sure to dust them during the brooding process (without interfering with lock down days) as they won't be able to dust bathe as often as most hens. (I also used Ivermectin to help keep mites down as well as internal worms).

Chick feed is high in nutrients, but low in calcium. Keep oyster shell station out for when they need to rebuild their stores.

I also put out chick electorlytes in the water to give them nutrient boosts during their brooding days.

My Silkies would molt in between clutches, which helps them rebuild their body stores. Using the chick feed during that time is excellent too as it is higher in protein and nutrients.

Spoil them with fresh hard boiled egg treats, some cottage cheese.

These should be considered career gals and treated as such. They are valuable livestock.

And generally they will go through a string of clutches, maybe 3, then slow down in the winter, which I totally encourage and give them continued support and care.

My brooding Silkies are Queens of my flock.

LofMc
Omg, I love mine so much. Just worried that the broodies will get to hot right now. 90s and high humidity in nw Arkansas. Got a fan on my black australorp.
so far when brownie went broody, she’s been great being in regular nest box and then with chicks in a doghouse inside coop. That way they are always with the flock.
right now she loves. Cold soaked in Water cucumber dices And shallow water with frozen peas and carrots. Also cold watermelon. It’s hot here and I guess they all love the cool stuff

How old do they usually get? Also the roosters? Prince Charming is same age than Brownie. about 1 year and 3-4 months old

It totally varies. It is not unusual for a Silkie, which has been well cared for, to make it beyond 5 years of age, the average age of death for most chickens. 7 or 8 years is common, however they don't necessarily brood well in advanced years.

Do be aware that Silkies are prone to Marek's disease, and than can stunt their life. (I lost one to that).

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom